cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Extranews at an end now?

N/A

Is Extranews at an end now?

Can't access it now, authentication errors.
I believe it's due to be withdrawn today(27th).
Can this be confirmed please?
Will usenet.plus.net have as good binary completion
compared to Giganews?
Cheers,
Steve.

3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Is Extranews at an end now?

And what happens from here, do we go back to using usenet.plus.netHuh?

fonejacker
Grafter

> And what happens from here, do we go back to using usenet.plus.netHuh?
>
>

HI Guys,

I will repost the annoucement here:

Regards,

Ian

As previously announced, we introduced the extranews.plus.net server as a temporary measure, whilst we increased our peering after the loss of our satellite USENET feed provider at short notice.

During this time we have increased the number of our USENET peers and we are now receiving 1.3million articles a day. This is an increase of 20% on our previous feed, which included the satellite USENET feed.

We are committed to providing a quality text feed that rivals that of any of the other UK ISP-based USENET services. Along with this we intend to continue to offer binary articles and will endeavour to increase our completion and retention as far as is practically possible.

Our outsourced USENET service, extranews.plus.net, will cease to operate on the 27th April. We will ease the transition for our users by pointing extranews.plus.net at our USENET servers from this date. This means you won't need to make any changes to your existing PlusNet Newsgroup reader set-up to take advantage of the new service. For more details visit our comprehensive Newsgroups Support Pages at http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=10.

As always, we welcome feedback from our customers and recognise that, although our USENET feed is not yet complete, it is improving and will continue to improve over the coming weeks and months.

Regards,

Customer Support
N/A

> During this time we have increased the number of our USENET peers and we are now receiving 1.3million articles a day. This is an increase of 20% on our previous feed, which included the satellite USENET feed.

An increase of 20% over a 34 part binary with only 15 parts means I now get 18 parts...

One of the groups I read has lots of postings which should be 34 parts, I can see the completion as: 9, 19, 18, 19, 16, 15, 11, 13, 14, 13, etc...