cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Broadband + Subject To The SUP ?

Metalguru
Grafter

I've just come across a posting on ADSL, where a BB+ punter claims to have recieved one of the dreaded 1st warning e mails for going over 100Gb's.

Its here :-

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=2063979&page=0&view=expanded&...

So.

12 REPLIES
N/A

As far as I know it isn't, but it's probably subject to the excessive usage (100gb+ a month).
LiamM
Grafter

According to the SUP info page, it's not applicable to BB+ users. But I've seen a couple of cases of this and the latest I heard was we were seeking clarification from the Comms Team.

It would be nice to have that, otherwise the SUP info page is factually wrong. This should NOT be being enforced on BB+ customers if PN are actively stating that BB+ isn't affected.

From using BB+ myself, I know that it is definately possible to exceed the 30Gb peak limit per month.
N/A

Have we had any joy regarding this?

I signed up to BB+ about three weeks ago unaware that there was any kind on SUP in action (I was lulled by the "No need to keep track of how much you download" line on the main page for BB+).

But I'm still very very confused as to whether or not I'm going to have my downloads limited. The SUP page doesnt' state that BB+ is covered by it, so am I to assume the "No need to keep track of how much you download" quote is true in every way?

Just a bit of clarity for a new BB+ customer would be cool Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

I too would like some clarity.

According to the SUP Page BBPlus isn't included.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

BB Plus is not included in the SUP, this has just been clarified.
Alecto
Grafter

So why the warning email then? Or is that bit not true?
Community Veteran

The warning email was true and was send to at least 2 BB+ users to my knowledge.

BB+ is apparently not subject to SUP but that does not mean BB+ is an unlimited product because the AUP (acceptable use policy) can be applied to any account and I believe that is what was applied in the 2 cases. What is acceptable usage for BB+ users is currently unkown at this time.

I have tried to get this claified via the PlusNet usergroup but PN have so far not yielded to my request. for clarification.
___oDiN__
Grafter

so let me get this straight...

a 14.99 bb+ user gets no SUP policy applied (No restrictions on downloads)
a 21.99 Premier user gets stuck with SUP 100gig/30 gig peak

anyone notice something wrong hereHuh?

Premier pay more but get restricted !!!!

madness...it should be the other way round
N/A

Yep i noticed it but seemed to unlogical to be true,

thxs
N/A

From what we're told by PN, if my understanding is correct, Premier isn't as heavily throttled as BB+.
Well, that's the theory but I, and I'm sure hundreds of others, would not agree with this
N/A

I was discussing this with my flatmate and we came to the conclusion that:

BB+ - slower speed and 50:1 network contension = no SUP
Premier - faster speed and 30:1 contension = 30gig/100gig limit

I think it's a trade-off between having a faster speed and getting capped on downloads or settling for a slower speed and having 'unlimited' (within reason) downloads.

Glad I went with BB+ as the speed of the connection is perfectly acceptable to me.
Alecto
Grafter

As Peter said above, BB+ doesn't have the SUP, but it does have the AUP, so if you do manage to download oodles of stuff at BB+speeds, then you'll get the Scarborough warning anyway. I don't think there's a way round it, and Pn are showing that they just don't want people to use their connections much.