cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 421.6 kilobits per second good for 2Mb service?

N/A

According to bandwidthplace.com/, my internet connection speed is "421.6 kilobits per second".

According to the tiny icon on the bottom right of my screen, the speed is 28.9 Kbps.

What do these figures refer to please?

Is that what is to be expected with a 2Mb service? I am on the Broadband Plus package.

I live in inner-London and know my exchange allows 2Mb and even more.

My internet feels slow... slower than when I had a 1Mb service with another company.

Downloads are very slow.

Thanks.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

421 is the tested speed of your ADSL line. No idea what 28.9 means.

You should be getting 1800 -> 1950Kbs on a 2Mbs line.

Have you migrated in recently, and if so what speed were you on at your old ISP?

What speed does your router/modem sync with the exchange? For 512Kbs it should sync at 576Kbs, 1Mbs @ 1152Kbs and 2Mbs @ 2272Kbs.

If you are syncing at 2272Kbs and have recently had a speed upgrade you need to raise a ticket and ask for the speed limit to be removed from your line.
N/A

Yes, I migrated in quite recently: about 3 weeks ago.

> What speed does your router/modem sync with the exchange?

I'm afraid I don't know. How can I find this out please?
Metalguru
Grafter

nazam.

You may have already done this, but if not, as a starter, have you tried the +net bandwidth speed test ?

Available on the +Net portal / members centre via :- My Account >> Connection Settings

I am on their 2mb BB+ package.

It consistantly shows me around 1820 kbps -- 1850 kbps

ADSL guide also has a speed test tool here :-
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
Community Veteran

nazam, what ADSL equipment are you using?

Try looking for a status or diagnostic information for your connection. If it's a router there should be a status/info page showing your connection speed. For a USB modem, check the manual to see if it shows your connection information.

You did not say what speed you were on at your previous ISP?
N/A

Plus.net wrote to me a few weeks ago saying my net connection was perfect. Now they've responded with the following:

" The speed you migrated to us on was 512k, so these speeds are ok for that connection, if you want to regrade the line we can place a regrade order for you but htis will cost £14.99, please advise how you would like to proceed."

What the hell? So I have to pay more to receive the internet connection speed I signed up for i.e. 2Mb? Surely that can't be true.

I should have know these guys were too good to be true. I keep telling myself not to trust companies in this country and I keep getting burned Sad