Ip address

madmalc
Grafter

Ip address

I am removing all my posts
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Ip address

Could you add a don't know option to that poll - as I don't mind either way at the moment but this could change in the future.

Also surely this would be better in Ideas and Suggestions - maybe one of the mods would move it?
madmalc
Grafter

Won't let me

Community Veteran

Ip address

Think that is a limitation - or feature of the forum software to prevent polls being changed so the votes are misrepresented.
N/A

Ip address

This is somthing that has been discussed, at length, several times in the ideas and suggestions board and here.

IIRC Plus Net have stated previously that the option of dynamic IP's for those who believe they need them is somthing which may be offered in the future but not, currently high on the list of priorities.

IP addresses, in the public pool are a diminishing resource and need to be managed carefully until other solutions become widely available.

Should an end user have a good reason for changing their current Ip address then this can be done through the ticket system. The reason has to be valid though.
madmalc
Grafter

Thanks

N/A

Ip address

I don't understand, why should someone want to change their ip address? what is the advantage of having a static ip over a variable one?
Community Veteran

Ip address

The main advantage of static over dynamic is for online gaming you have to enter the ip of the host i belive hence if you and some freinds play online regularly it makes it easier for you all as you do not have to find ou the new ip address each time you dissconnect the ADSL.
N/A

Ip address

so then why would you want to change it?
Community Veteran

Ip address

I don't understand, why should someone want to change their ip address? what is the advantage of having a static ip over a variable one?

You asked what the avantage of static over dynamic was I told you - did you mean dynamic over static?
N/A

Ip address

sorry i don't mean to try your patience, i just don't understand ip's. The op wanted to change his ip, be it static, dynamic or whatever, just wonderd what the difference was and why you'd want to change. I'm not very technically minded so go easy on me eh
N/A

Ip address

People may want their IP changed for many reasons. 1 would be for possible security reasons the other, and i am not suggesting that this applies to the OP, could be where a gamer, banned from various servers for whatever reason thinks that by changing IP addy they could circumvent any ban.

These are just two of the more common examples.
Community Veteran

Ip address

sorry i don't mean to try your patience, i just don't understand ip's. The op wanted to change his ip, be it static, dynamic or whatever, just wonderd what the difference was and why you'd want to change. I'm not very technically minded so go easy on me eh

o.k. I was just confused when you asked about the advantages of static over dynamic then after dynamic over static!
N/A

Ip address

My belief is that as a static Ip address every time you connect to the internet through your PN account user xxx.plusnet.com will always be alocated xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as IP address.
With a dynamic IP address user xxx.plusnet.com would be allocated Huh.Huh.Huh.Huh out of Plusnets pool of IP addresses.

Fixed as stated does ensure on-lne gamers keep same address but might also tell people who you are instantly by the IP.

Pros & cons both ways, so an option might be good as opposed to either one or the other.
N/A

Ip address

I thought I'd read somewhere that at the moment, even the dynamic IP's are actually static?
Plus dynamic doesn't mean that it changes every time you connect, just that the servers decide which IP to assign you - if you connect frequently, even with a dynamic address, odds are that you would end up with the same address anyway?