cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invest in infrastructure?

N/A

With the continued cut backs of the premier account so that now it only equal's the poor offerings of wanadoo or Bt, why is more not being done to reverse this? Perousing your 2005 report link
It seem's profits up from 9 million in 2004 to 12 million in 2005, im guessing this year will see a similar trend with margins >30%. How about you invest some of the success in buying peaktime bandwidth?

[Moderator's note by <Mark> (pcsni): Shortened url as it was stretching the page]
44 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

This question is asked frequently.

This article, whilst a brain scrambling read, will go a long way towards explaining how and why it works.

Unfortunately its not just as simple as going out there and buying more capacity.

Have a read and let us know what you think.
Community Veteran

I see on page 8 that "All new customers have been generated by referral, we have not investing in high cost low return advertising"

I have stopped referring people to plusnet because of the changes and levels of service on the last few months

Despite the changes being coverd bu the AUP I don't beleive a cut to 15gb is an acceptable cut esp as it has halfed from the 30gb allowed before.

A
N/A

There's a well known phone company which is offering free weekend calls to UK landlines and free calls to others on the same network - AND unlimited downloads. Now if one company can do this you can be sure another company can, even if there's a slight twist on the phone part of it - such as is the case with another phone company that's also offering a similar deal. I've not looked hard and I've immediately found two companies who offer unlimited downloads with an element of free calls thrown in with the package. (And no I'm not talking about AOhelL or NThelL either).
N/A

It seems that due, to the tight profit margin on the B+ packages your having to squeeze, the higher profit margin premier accounts to keep things at a maintainable level. The thing is i came to plusnet at the time, due to all the positive reviews and my friends recommendations, I chose the premiser option as that is what i need for games + Voip(skype) and dl updates to linux + whatever else takes my fancy, currently as it stand's it's pretty pointless having a broadband line that i can only get as much use out of as is probably possible with a 56k line. I'd rather you upped the price by a pound a month on the B+ accounts or returned the premier accounts to the way they were at sign up and raised there price by a pound or two. I know you must be eager to expand, but maybe it is better to stablise your current user group before accepting more accounts at costs that arn't tending towards a sustainable and positive user experiance.
N/A

Adding to that, if B+ has hardly any profit margin but the premier accounts provide the highest return, Why are you pushing away your most profitable customers who also happen to be the most net savvy and more likely to recommend you to friends and family?
csogilvie
Grafter

Despite the changes being coverd bu the AUP I don't beleive a cut to 15gb is an acceptable cut esp as it has halfed from the 30gb allowed before.

Except, it's not really a cut - you've gone from 30GB from 8AM - Midnight, to 15GB from 4PM - Midnight... so you half the hours, and the ammount.
Community Veteran

It's cut if you generally only use the service between 4 pm and midnight. I for one don't believe in leaving my pc or other equipment on needlessly overnight so the new system is an annoyance.

What ever happend to reducing emissions etc.

A
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Halving the time and halving the allowance is not really a fair argument as the vast majority of people are using their connection in the evening. If they had made it 2/3 (20GB) I don't think it would have been received half (or is that 2/3? Wink ) as badly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

yeah the halfing time and halfing limit is not the best way to do it. I guess though plusnets reason would be that it would reduce the overall strain on the system between these hours.

As we're all obviously using too much at the minute and the system copes, (generally) I guess it should really fly when the new limits come into play.

A
N/A

Considering that most users will generally use it more between 4pm-12pm than 8am -4pm it's hardly a fair comparison. Plus it's also traffic shaped, so it's gone down and it's traffic shaped, considering when i joined it was uncapped and not traffic shaped this is a bit of a decline.
N/A

considering when i joined it was uncapped and not traffic shaped this is a bit of a decline.

Not correct. The traffic shaping had started just prior to your join date in July 2005. The products are still not capped as a cap is a hard limit which does not exist with the Plus net accounts.

TBH, your wish that the pricing be upped by a £1 per month would acheive little or no improvement in the SUP allowances and at a 15GB allowance during peak, you need to be downloading a hell of a lot of Linux patches and updates to come close to using that amount.

Out of curiosity what is your average monthly usage? What people forget at times, is that the current levels wont affect the vast majority of customers, as they will never come slose to using that amount of bandwidth.
N/A

It was roughly 100gb a month before i received the first email, (figured out it was my housemate leaving his anime torrents open all the time) it's now been reduced to around 15gb a month, but i can easily do a 1gb a night playing games with voip and updating my podcasts, downloading whatever i want to be honest. It would be alot more if the usenet groups actually functioned half the time, and i didn't have to play without skype half the time, i also use my webcam with my gf.. I'd either want a higher limit shaped or no traffic shaping and a low limit, 15gb is low when you consider a 2mb pipe can push over 600gb in a month. Bassically i want to use my BROADBAND SERVICE for broadband internet activity. The £1 was just a random figure i'd be happy paying 29 for a , but if the BB+ service is the most popular and also adds the least profit margin per contract maybe it should be upped in price. I'm reduced to asking my friends to mail me up cds of stuff now that i run the risk of getting added on to a managed list i have no real way of getting off. I will be leaving as soon as the year is up, and i move back to uni. I just think it's utter detritus the amount this service has degraded, generally the Terms and conditions for a service are used to cover a company from frivilous law suits over small changes not as an excuse to hack and slash a service away. When i signed up, there were no signs to indicate it was traffic shaped and i'm pretty sure unlimted internet was advertised, at least in staying connected. Now reading the changes a premier account shall only stay connected 70 hours a week.
N/A

IMHO there are a number of mixed messages and agendas whenever this comes up.
My view is that the network does indeed need to be managed, that products need to be sold with realistic expectations and that investment in the infrastructure does also need to be made.
For whatever reason, currently the balance isn't there as my experience suffers during peak hours. I can have nothing else going on on my account, and yet suffer packetloss and ping spikes, so the latency sensitive applications are not getting the priority they deserve. At the same time, while not a heavy downloader (possibly above average at between 10-20Gb a month, but I've always been willing to pay) I cannot download what I want, how I want during peak time. So, while a user of the network, not an abuser, I am currently doubly disadvantaged.
shellsong
Grafter

considering when i joined it was uncapped and not traffic shaped this is a bit of a decline.

Not correct. The traffic shaping had started just prior to your join date in July 2005.

As far as I know your statement is rubbish pcsni!
PlusNet laid claim to contention being the only usage controlling tool between dropping the FUP and introducing the SUP-- whether they were secretly experimenting with Ellacoyas on their unsuspecting customers at the same time I do not know but this is the first time I've seen it suggested that shaping was going on with any package apart from BB+

Following our recent announcements about the implementation of the proposed fair usage system, we have taken the decision not to implement fair usage. This decision is in no small part due to the changing broadband market and the requirement to ensure that a minority of customers does not continue to impact the experience for the majority.

Withdrawing the fair usage system is not a decision that has been taken lightly and alternatives have been in consideration for some time. We believe that the way to move forward is by continuing to manage our broadband service through contention.