cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Clarity for Sustainable Usage

LiamM
Grafter

As a voluntary Forum Moderator, I generally enjoy taking part in this active community. However recently it seems to have deteriorated into some kind of huge offensive against individuals and Plusnet and seems to be somewhat of a mess. This makes my life very hard work. I like you all most of the time, but when the forums break down into a huge mess and everybody is arguing, it really is hard work to moderate.

I am going to give you a link now, to a new page on the portal. This should mean clarity for Premier products and how much you can feasably use without being restricted. No more vagueness. It's all here - and set it stone. Some people will welcome this, some will complain to the ends of the Earth. But there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Despite what many have suggested, Stewart has informed me this isn't going to be "officially" announced as such and this is why I have started this thread.

I have one request, however, and that is that the discussion is kept clean, pro-active, without offence, without un-necessary personal-attacks, without hijacking other threads and all in one place.

Here it is, take a look at this -

www.plus.net/support/features/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

Affected Users will be emailed shortly.
488 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Oops... so it seems Stewart did announce it in the end. Oh well..... can we keep discussion / questions etc... all in one place?
N/A

Interesting read....

What exactly is Peak Time Management? Is this something that replaces or runs alongside the traffic shaping? Last night my usenet downloads were throttled something chronic. I know it was the shaping that did it because the same download from the same server via HTTP flew down.

Also, when something, ie SSH, P2P etc, is"restricted" what exactly does that mean? It's throttled, it's not allowed, what?

This document certainly makes things clearer, but we still need more answers. I'm teetering on declining the new T&C's but need a bit more clarification before jumping either way.
LiamM
Grafter

I believe that only these activities are reduced in speed, so that normal web browsing remains the same. I could be wrong though, it takes some getting your head around.

Peak Time Management refers to 4pm - 12am (Midnight). Usage within this period counts as Peak usage. So at least we now know when Peak and Off-Peak is.
Community Veteran

Just three questions from me for now...

Can I deduce from that that the ellacoyas are clever enough to shape/throttle traffic from individuals based upon their individual usage?

Does the usage allowed before hitting the different states include all traffic - i.e. 30GB of peak Http use will generate a warning mail?

Will these restrictions/usage levels come into force at the same time as the view my usage tool is updated?

Many Thanks.

It does seem to clear things up, and I am sure there will be other questions arrise, but for the moment I think those are the main three I can see arrising.

Ta,
Chris.
KimT
Grafter

I'm on BB+ so am aware that these rules don't apply to myself, but one thing that is mentioned is peak/off peak downloading.

Is there anywhere on the portal that actually informs you of your current levels on both peak/off peak? this would be a necessity if a user were to try and stay on the right side of the rules Cheesy

Jeff
Community Veteran

As stated - the "view my usage" tool is due to be updated shortly to show peak/off peak usage.
N/A

I'm sorry, but PlusNet need to make the points raised above clear in this new draft. It is all far too vague. Given PN's recent track record and appalling communication skills, this needs clearing ASAP. The timing of this draft is also fairly diabolical given that a percentage of people who read it may want to reconsider their life with PlusNet.
channel
Grafter

Would I be right in assuming that even whilst being within the sustainable usage limits, my surfing will be subject to traffic management/throttling based on what is going on elsewhere on PN's network? So, I never get a clean connection?

Or is it only the unsustainable usage that gets e-coli-ed?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Can I deduce from that that the ellacoyas are clever enough to shape/throttle traffic from individuals based upon their individual usage?

Yes, they can, although it would only be done as per the details on the portal.

Does the usage allowed before hitting the different states include all traffic - i.e. 30GB of peak Http use will generate a warning mail?

Yes, all traffic would included.

Will these restrictions/usage levels come into force at the same time as the view my usage tool is updated?

This is in effect now, changes to view my usage will follow.
LiamM
Grafter

Is there anywhere on the portal that actually informs you of your current levels on both peak/off peak? this would be a necessity if a user were to try and stay on the right side of the rules Cheesy

Just had a quick word with Stew. From what he says we could be in luck. It would seem this is something that is going back on the development stack to come out some time in the near future.
KimT
Grafter

As stated - the "view my usage" tool is due to be updated shortly to show peak/off peak usage.

Thanks chesterfield, in my excitement of the new information, plus the fact I'd had 40+K/s on a BB+ using P2P earlier today my eyesight/brain weren't working together properly :lol:

Jeff
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Would I be right in assuming that even whilst being within the sustainable usage limits, my surfing will be subject to traffic management/throttling based on what is going on elsewhere on PN's network? So, I never get a clean connection?

We will still implement traffic management to ensure the quality of service of latency sensitive applications in the event of traffic levels hitting a maximum.
N/A

Sustainable Usage

I am paying for Premier up to 4Mb.

The tables issued say that I can if I choose to do so download up to 150Gb anytime during a billing month. However included in this total is 45Gb of peak time downloads (between 4pm and 12 midnight).

This apparently can be done without sanctions being imposed by Plusnet.

If I have correctly deciphered the above, does this now mean there will be no speed restrictions on my account for anything other than P2P, which I do not use, and USENET downloads between 4pm and 12 midnight?
N/A

Yet again, the lions share of communication is appearing on the forum and not any central point. This information is vital to your users but it is coming in in dribs and drabs on the forums. This is not good enough. Some people will not even visit these forums or the PN website.

It also reminds me that when I signed up to my new contract, it was being touted as "as fast as your line is capable". As such, I should be regarded as an 8Mb customer.....