cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Broadband Your Way Part 1

Liam
Grafter

We are pleased to announce that the future of Broadband arrived this morning in the form of ‘Broadband Your Way’. Broadband Your Way replaces our existing product set for all new PlusNet customers. Existing customers will be able to remain on their current products, but as of this morning our previous products have all been withdrawn from sale.

Four Options
Our new offering, Broadband Your Way, is available in 4 base options with included allowances as follows :

Option 1 - £9.99 – 1GB included usage
Option 2 - £14.99 – 8GB included usage
Option 3 - £19.99 – 20GB included usage
Option 4 - £29.99 – 40GB included usage

You can choose to have your Broadband Your Way as a fixed price product, or you can opt to bolt on extra usage. If you want extra usage, then you can opt to pre-pay for it at a cost of 75p per GB per month, or post-pay at £1.00 per GB – once you have hit your included allowance. If you don’t wish to post-pay for usage, or don’t add any pre-paid extra usage, then your broadband speeds will be restricted to 128kbps once you hit your monthly usage allowance and have used any pre-paid extra usage.

If you’ve configured your Broadband Your Way to post-pay extra GB’s, then we have adapted the ‘Data Transfer Watch’ tool to enable you to set a maximum price that you would like to pay. Once this is reached, we will stop adding extra usage blocks and your speeds will instead be reduced across the board to 128kbps. This enables you to continue to use your Broadband connection, but at a reduced speed until a new billing month starts.

Usage is counted between the hours of 8:00am and Midnight every day and includes both Uploads and Downloads. Outside of these hours usage is free of charge and not taken from your usage allowance. All usage allowances and pre/post-pay extra usage is calculated by billing month and is reset on your billing date.

Product Features
Broadband Your Way is provided with speeds of ‘Up to 8Mb’ and is based on a Monthly Contract.

The new product includes all the popular product features as our Broadband Premier and Pay As You Go products used to. The following are just some of the features included at no extra cost in your monthly subscription:-
- Broadband Firewall
- Unlimited Email addresses
- Anti-Virus and Spam Detection on Email
- Included Broadband Phone minutes
- 250MB Webspace with 250MB daily traffic allowance
- MySQL Database Hosting
- CGI Server Hosting
- FrontPage Extensions
- Ability to host up to 5 domains
- Text Usenet Access
- 0808 Free Dialup if you open a Broadband Fault

You can view the full list of features here.

Broadband Your Way comes with a Dynamic IP address by default, but with the ability to enable a Static IP at no extra cost. If you do not know what a Static IP is, it is likely you do not need one. A Static IP can be activated at any time, via the Member Centre. Customers moving onto Broadband Your Way from a current product with a Static IP will retain it following the change of product.

Product Changes
Going forwards, all new signups will be onto a Broadband Your Way option. We will make no charges for you to more to Broadband Your Way. Once on Broadband Your Way, you can change your included allowances or switch options once a month without incurring any downgrade charges.

Broadband Your Way on our Broadband Network
We’ve updated our Help and Support pages with more information than ever before on how we manage these products on our network. We prioritise traffic differently on the different options.

For information on how you can expect Broadband Your Way to perform, see the following information :

Expected Speeds
Traffic Prioritisation

Free Setup Offer Evolved
The hardware provided with our Free Setup option is changing. Customers signing up to Options 1 or 2 can order a 1 Port router, whilst signups to Options 3 or 4 can get a Wireless Router. There is no charge for this hardware or activation if the customer is with us for 12 months or more. Broadband Your Way is a monthly contract product, so customers can choose to repay us for the hardware and activation and leave without any penalties.

Broadband Your Way – what’s next?
This is just the start of Broadband Your Way. Our intention is to constantly evolve Broadband Your Way with new features, management tools and additional services. The next features we'll launch include:
• A 'speed boost' facility to deliver a 5-star experience for downloads
• A BT Home Hub hardware option
• Bundled WiFi minutes with BT Openzone
• Improvements and enhancements to the 'Broadband Your Way Control Panel'
• Sliding-scale referral values based on the amount you spend

Geographical Support
In response to feedback from the PlusNet Usergroup and following discussions at our Customer Open Day, we are pleased to announce that we will be launching a geographical number to contact support in May. This will allow many customers to benefit from using their inclusive minutes in their home or mobile phone packages if they need to contact us.

More information
We’ll be emailing all our customers over the next week informing them of these new products now available to them. For more information about our Broadband Your Way products, see the product pages on our website, here:-
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/

FAQ

We will keep an updated FAQ with questions from the Community on our Community Site Blog at : http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/04/11/broadband-your-way-faq/
368 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If I am currently on PAYG and switch to BBYW does this remove the ability to connect to RIN?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Mand answered this earlier. RIN is designed for PAYG owing to it's relaxed traffic management. It will initially work, but chances are it will be removed shortly.
Mand
Grafter

In the short term no, in the long term yes.

The RIN trial was designed for PAYG customers, for the time being you will still be able to log on to the RIN network, however this is likely to be removed soon.
Community Veteran

Hi all.

As we are going to have a number of queries regarding the BBYW launch to deal with, I would greatly appreciate it if we could keep all queries to this thread.

This will ensure that we dont miss out on any questions and avoid duplication and confusion.

Your assistance would be much appreciated.
itchyfeet
Grafter

Can existing users get the free wireless router if they upgrade to Option3 or 4?
Rooster
Dabbler

Shaping of current PAYG vs. Option 3

Moved from previous separate thread to here to centralise repsonses...

Looking at option 3 ... does my current PAYG 15Gb deal have the same traffic shaping applied?

Beside the increased allowance .. is there any benefit to me?

Previous response from Mand
Hi there,

The main difference would be P2P/Usenet, which on PAYG is in Gold during peak and Silver during off peak.

On Option 3 P2P/Usenet is in Silver.

Thanks for all the quick replies ... would still like to hear a definitive answer ..
daytime I'm 100% surfing
nightime - I occassionally schedule some p2p downloads and FTP Uploads.

My follow up ...
So to be clear, my question is ..
Is daytime surfing better on current PAYG compared to Option 3?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Daytime surfing would be the same experience on PAYG and on BBYW.
itchyfeet
Grafter

Seeing that 'gold' means different things on Options 1-4, how does 'Gold' on PAYG, Premiere and Plus compare to Options 1-4?
Community Veteran

I think I'll probably stay where I am at present on Broadband Premier Option 1 as to move over to BBYW Option 3 only saves me £2 per month.

Should I decide to change however, as I have a Static IP address will I (1) Be automatically allocated a Dynamic Address (2) Can I elect to keep my current static IP address or (3) Do I have to apply for a new Static IP address.

On the other hand if I decide to remain on my current Premier package what guarantee do I have that I won't be forced to switch to BBYW at a later date.

To remain on my current package I assume I just ignore everything and carry on as normal, is that so?
Community Veteran

I have to say I am quite bothered that PN did not take the opportunity to include an 'upto 2Mb' account.

Given the average ADSL speed is about 5Mb, for the same Central bandwidth PN could have double the number of users with capacity to spare.

PN always argue they plan to be sustainable, fair enough, but users on lines that support higher speeds really do cost more in infrastructure costs than those that would be happy with e-mail/browsing at 2Mb and those with lines that do not support much greater t...

--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran

I'm looking at moving to package 2 which has 2 stars for p2p does this mean it's given 2nd priority or is it lower priority than the more expensive package.

Which is greater priority 1 or 5 stars. Is 1 star equilvalent to previous bronze and 5 to platinum or gold.

Will there be much difference to my current p2p priority on payg £14.99.

Many thanks

A
Mand
Grafter

I think I'll probably stay where I am at present on Broadband Premier Option 1 as to move over to BBYW Option 3 only saves me £2 per month.

Should I decide to change however, as I have a Static IP address will I (1) Be automatically allocated a Dynamic Address (2) Can I elect to keep my current static IP address or (3) Do I have to apply for a new Static IP address.

On the other hand if I decide to remain on my current Premier package what guarantee do I have that I won't be forced to switch to BBYW at a later date.

To remain on my current package I assume I just ignore everything and carry on as normal, is that so?

Hi

Should you decide to move to one of the new products you will keep your current static IP if you wish to do so.

At this moment I cannot guarantee that the older packages will always be available, however we have lots of customers on legacy packages at the moment who are happy with the service we offer. As Ian said earlier, we don't expect the new packages to be suitable for everyone and currently have no plans to withdraw the old products.

To remain on your current product yep just ignore everything! Smiley
Community Veteran

Is there an 'Admin Fee' applied to change from BBYW1->BBYW3 or BBYW3->BBYW1 ?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Eserim
Rising Star

Can I request that http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/traffic_prioritisation.shtml be updated or another page added, with the old packages in, so we can compare where we are with the new ones.

Also, can you tell me please, where in the pecking order is BBplus if you have capacity issues again like the start of the year? Are we the 1st to suffer? Or is the pain equally distributed if there is capacity issues?

The answer to this may make me change if Plus is still at the bottom.

Apart from that the only major difference I can see is that the peak period for plus (16:00 to midnight) is lost - this is good for me - especially as last Friday I downloaded all my Steam driven games (nearly 4GB) during the day, but it all counted as off-peak.

Chris