cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Internet Connection

N/A

Now and again I cant connect to the internet. It works fine when I have connected but sometimes, using the binatone shortcut to connect - an error page appears and I cant connect.
This problem is intermittent and really annoying.
Can anyone help?
Thanks Chris
28 REPLIES
Lorian
Grafter

There are problems with DNS servers at the moment, maybe that.
N/A

Could you describe the error in a little more detail?
N/A

What is the error page, there are a number of errors you can get !!
N/A

I have to connect via the desktop binatone html link. When I double click the Icon the html error page "cannot find page" appears. No error number just a suggestion to synchronize the page - which subsequently brings up an errror.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

This is a problem accessing the Binatone configuration screen rather than a problem connecting - this could be down to a number of issues. It could be the drivers for the modem are not working correctly, have you tried re-installing them to see if this helps. It could also be a browser problem (can you try using an alternative browser when the problems occurs).

It is possible that this is a modem problem, and if it is then it is most likely related to power usage. What chipset does your motherboard have as some have known issues and do you have any other USB devices in use (in which case you should try disconnecting them when you have problem). What is the status of the lights on your modem when you are having the problem?

Regards,
N/A

wat chipsets have known conflicts?just for future reference if u dnt mind josh
Community Veteran

VIA (older versions) and SiS are the ones I can remember. The chipset drivers for those and a VIA USB patch do help in some situations.

What chipset do you have?

PSU's can sometimes cause problems if they are having to supply near their rated power output (i.e. max power).
N/A

i have a very old amd 751 chipset all my other usb devices seem ok although i havent been able to use my modem yet due to payment probs with the bank,but the lights are on and the data one flickers when i try to connect obviously it doesnt work just error connected cause i havent got b/b yet and the username and password wont work.but psu i think ill take out some of my cold cathode lights and case accessories to make sure coz i only have a 350w at the mo but im making my uber system with 450w or more psu!but if power seems to be a problem ill pick up a usb card sumwhere cheap.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

The power issue is not power to your PC (e.g. a 350W power supply) but the amount of power that your motherboard supplies to your USB Bus - which is dependant on BIOS and chipset. Also, ADSL modems are notorious for how much power they use as many peak at 500mA (where as an old VIA Chipset will only provide up to 450mA of power) - which is why your other USB devices work fine.

Regards,
N/A

The current regulators used are voltage dependant, so if the supply voltage is low because the PSU is being "maxed out", then the current supplied via the USB bus will also be correspondingly low.
True that the PSU is not the fault, but the correct wattage PSU has to be used for the current requirements.
Running a couple of 20watt cold cathodes will not leave a lot spare.
jberry
Grafter

Good point, nice and easy to test though - just unplug your cathodes and see what happens (plus you can get a nice 550W power supply for about £40)
N/A

I have reinstalled the drivers and it is the only usb device i am using.
The chipset is nforce2 if thats what you mean. It just took my an hour of trying and refreshing then all off a sudden !! bingo im in. What shall I try next?
N/A

chrisprince:

Just a possibility, could be you have proxies set from a previous ISP (Freeserve maybe??)
One thing to try is to run Internet Explorer, tools - internet options - connections - Lan settings , and make sure nothing is ticked.
N/A

Thanks - Nothing is ticked in Lan settings. This is a new machine completely reformatted and no ISPs have been set up previously. Keep the suggestions coming!! Cheers Chris