cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving - why?

N/A

Interleaving - why?

Hi,

I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere.

After receiving maxdsl, during the first 7 days i synched at between 7200kbps and 7400kbps with approximately 5-6 SNR. This was extremely unstable and consequently disconnected periodically, often multiple times an hour.

After day 7, my stable rate has been modified to 5500 from 6500, and my sync speed reduced from 7200 to 6080. My SNR is now approximately 11.

However - INTERLEAVING has also been allocated on my line. I understand the theory behind interleaving, and the consequences associated with it. I am also aware I can ask for this to be removed off my line.

My question is simply - why was interleaving turned on at all? Clearly the disconnections were a consequence of synching at too high a speed, producing a low SNR and subsequently an unstable connection.

However - with so much bandwidth to play with, why wasn't the stable rate modified to something slightly lower, rather than turning on interleaving and rendering gaming essentially useless? Is this typical of BT, or something specific to my line conditions?

Futhermore - should i ask for this to be removed, will my line redetemine a stable rate with reasonble SNR, or will it simply return to ridiculous SNR and disconnect every 15 minutes?

Thanks for your help.

Pete
17 REPLIES
N/A

Interleaving - why?

I have interleaving on and my sync is 5000-6000 causing my SNR to be 5-7db. This causes CRC errors and occasional disconnections. Why they just can't drop me to a stable 4000 or something and turn interleaving off I don't know.

It seems that BT are causing these problems by trying to screw every possible byte out of the connection and then when it becomes unstable their solution is to cut your download speed and turn interleaving on leaving you with a slow, unstable connection and crappy download speed.

In theory MaxDSL is nice. In BT's implementaion of it they have achieved the exact opposite of what it was intended to be. Should we really have expected anything else? Bravo. /slow hand claps.
vic_newey
Grafter

Interleaving - why?

There are different levels of interleaving also,, mine is mostly 4X up & 8X down but I just synced at a higher speed than usual & its now 16X down.
Evil
N/A

Interleaving - why?

In theory MaxDSL is nice. In BT's implementaion of it they have achieved the exact opposite of what it was intended to be

Absoloutely. I think BT have totally butchered the ADSL spec.
N/A

Interleaving - why?

There are different levels of interleaving also,, mine is mostly 4X up & 8X down but I just synced at a higher speed than usual & its now 16X down.
Evil

Those figures will relate to inreases in your latency. So 4x will mean 4ms delay, 8x 8ms delay etc etc.
madswitcher
Grafter

Interleaving - why?

so folks

how are you finding out if you are interleaved and by what multiple?

Mike
Community Veteran

Re: Interleaving - why?

My question is simply - why was interleaving turned on at all? Clearly the disconnections were a consequence of synching at too high a speed, producing a low SNR and subsequently an unstable connection.

Yes, BT have taken the view that high sync speed, although unstable at times, was what people wanted.

Think not myself.

Also PN had said in the early days of talking about MaxDSL they would consider a means for a user to control the sync speed from the portal.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Interleaving - why?

so folks

how are you finding out if you are interleaved and by what multiple?

Router stats. Your router should report fast or interleave mode. Well, depending on the router that is.
N/A

Interleaving - why?

Well - just to update on the situation.

Still disconnecting even with interleaving on - why on earth have I been allocated a rate my line is incapable of supporting?

In addition to the fact I can't play internet games anymore, just lost $50 on online poker due to a disconnection (which I assumed was now very unlikely), fantastic.

According to my girlfriend this has been happening throughout the day.

From a perfectly stable 2mb line with a 25 ping to a 70 ping and disconnections every 15 minutes - why oh why did I ask to queue jump.

It would serve as some compensation if I actually ever experienced above 2mb speeds. Latest speed test gives 2.3Mbps. Awesome.

It has now been well over the 10 days testing period. Sigh.
N/A

Interleaving - why?

Today seems to have improved somewhat - only 1 disconnection so far, although hundreds of errored seconds and many CRC errors.

Anyone able to answer my original question - if I request Interleaving to be turned off, will my line retrain to a lower speed, or simply become unstable and disconnect all the time?

Cheers

Pete
Firejack
Grafter

Interleaving - why?

Wouldn't mind an answer from Plus.net on this question myself. In terms of what I expect from my connection, listing from the top most important to least important;

• Stability - no point having an Internet connection if you can't use it
  • Low latency - I play online games
  • Upload speed - I want to run a busy non commercial website from home server but don't have enough bandwidth
  • Download speed - so long as this is the same or better then my upload I don't mind. I just download while I sleep so there is no hurry to download anything.

So as you can see stabilty is my number 1 requirement of my connection. Don't care if I go down to 0.5Mbit so long as all my other needs are met.
N/A

Interleaving - why?

Well anyone?

Connection still unstable during peak periods (yet the SNR is ~10?). Started to sync at 7000 kbps again.Sigh.
JonathanW
Grafter

Interleaving - why?

There's not way to tell for sure exactly what will happen to your line if interleaving is turned off. It is possible that it will retrain to a lower speed and become more stable, as without the option of turning interleaving on the BT kit should just decrease your sync speed until the connection becomes stable.
N/A

Interleaving - why?

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I'll take my chances and request it to be turned off - as an active gamer its not much use to me otherwise.

Pete
N/A

Interleaving - why?

I have also requested for Interleaving to be switched off (Friday 5th May was my request date).. Still stuck on it lol

Ah well hopefully tomorrow it will have shut off but I havent had a real update on my ticket apart from "Regards".. Hmm, that helps me understand whats going on lol.

If it sorts its head out tomorrow I will tell you how I have gone on. Fingers crossed I wont just lose it all and have to pay the 60p/m call rates to have it changed back + 14.99 fee and another 11 days of nothingness lol Wink