cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving and who turned it on ?

flyer99
Grafter

Having had some issues with the speed of my connection I checked my router to find that
1. My sync speed had dropped to 7584 when it has always been 8128 and plusnet reports my stable rate at 7000 when it used to be 8000. My line length is approx 1.4km
2. Interleaving has been turned on ?

Why was it switched on? My line was working ok. While on the subject the BT line tester reports that I should be able to get upto 6MB which is ok but as i was syncing at the top speed how come i can only get a max speed of approx 4MB.

Before you ask my set-up is a converted ISDN2 line that only has the router plugged in, no extension cables, no phones just 1 filter which I could bin if I aquired an adapter or an ADSL faceplate

Any input appreciated
Regards
Nick
12 REPLIES
pacem
Grafter

Unless PN and the rest of the internet get a whole load more capacty you aint never going to get much more than 4Mbs ragerdless of what speed you sync at.

As for the secondary speed drop; interleaving uses a few bits of data for extra checksum information so you will get a slight drop in speed if you have a very fast connection. I wouldn't worry about this, but if you are a gamer I would worry about the increased ping times with interleaving.

You interleaving probably got switched on automatically when you had your speed/sync problems; if your line drops 3 times in an hour (someone correct me on time/times) then interleaving will automatically be turned on.

You could raise a ticket to get it turned off.

Paul.<><
N/A

Go to my account > connection settings > interleaving.
You can turn it off, but not on.
flyer99
Grafter

Thanks for the input
I would happly turn off interleaving from my account > connection settings > interleaving if the interleaving option existed :!:. Looks like i will have to raise a ticket. From what I can work out my speed drop and interleaving was applied when I was on holiday and all my IT kit including my router/modem was switched off.
N/A

It's in there for me, but perhaps they have done that because of the discinnection problems I am having. They switched it on and told me afterwards.
N/A

The interleaving option only appears on MaxDSL connections I believe, and not LLU. Which are you on?
N/A

Im on MaxDSL interleaving on but no option to switch off. I
also have no usage meter Cry
sladkart
Grafter

I think the Interleaving option only appears under Connection Settings if interleaving was turned on manually by PN/BT. If it got switched on automatically by the BT exchange then you won't have the option to turn it off - except by raising a ticket.
aetos
Grafter

Im in teh same boat i am not LLU and MAxed with no option to turn off interleaving though this can be done by raising a ticket.

It can still take 5 days or so to be inplememted

MArk
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the input
I would happly turn off interleaving from my account > connection settings > interleaving if the interleaving option existed :!:. Looks like i will have to raise a ticket. From what I can work out my speed drop and interleaving was applied when I was on holiday and all my IT kit including my router/modem was switched off.

Hi,

Interleaving is applied by default on all new activations and regrades and has been for around a month or so, before that interleaving was set to "auto", which means it will be off by default but BT's systems can turn it on should they notice the connection to be unstable. Why it's switched on in any particular case is difficult to say but it doesn't necessary have to be a problem on your particular line but can be switched on if there's an exchange side problem on occassions (which may explain why it was done when the equipment was off).

The button to switch it on/off will only appear if you are on Max and we know what the status of interleaving is on the line (otherwise the button could be wrong). So won't appear for everyone. If the button isn't there then just raise a ticket and we can change status manually. Can take around 5 days to process on BT's side.
flyer99
Grafter

Thanks for the input

Hi,

Interleaving is applied by default on all new activations and regrades and has been for around a month or so, before that interleaving was set to "auto", which means it will be off by default but BT's systems can turn it on should they notice the connection to be unstable. Why it's switched on in any particular case is difficult to say but it doesn't necessary have to be a problem on your particular line but can be switched on if there's an exchange side problem on occassions (which may explain why it was done when the equipment was off).

The button to switch it on/off will only appear if you are on Max and we know what the status of interleaving is on the line (otherwise the button could be wrong). So won't appear for everyone. If the button isn't there then just raise a ticket and we can change status manually. Can take around 5 days to process on BT's side.

Thanks for the input and I will raise a ticket if I determine that I require it to be off. Have not played online games for while as all work no play Cry
I was aware that its on for all new connections. For the record I am assuming all those with USB modems will have interleaving turned on as most people dont leave their kit on 24x7 and the same applies to those of us that turn our routers off if we are going to be away.........
Based on the theory that the exchange will think there is an issue with the line? Does the kit remember the last connection status if its been off for a few days?

Regards
Nick
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Interleaving should only kick in if the connection drops so may times in a short period. Using a USB modem shouldn't make any difference to how the Dynamic Line Management systems monitor the connection because they are really looking for 4 or 5 disconnections (loss of sync) in a few minutes or 20 or so in an hour, that sort of frequency (although the exact figures may differ slightly).

So if you use the connection for 10 or 15 minutes then disconnect it should be fine because it won't be several disconnects one after another.

The kit at the exchange should remember the last state, regardless of whether that was 5 minutes of a month ago, however the sync rate is calculated based on the set target SNR and interleave statuses every time you resync.
sinewave
Grafter

Go to my account > connection settings > interleaving.
You can turn it off, but not on.

perhaps I'm being stupid but I can't see any reference to Interleaving under "connection settings".

I do a "search the website" for "interleaving" and it comes up with three pages, non of which allow me to affect interleaving (the pages just contain that word).

Is this broken too?