cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interleaving Charges, Premium Rate Line.. Blah blah.. What!

N/A

If you wish to have interleaving disabled on your line we can do this at no cost.

If interleaving is active on your line it is active for a reason. It is possible that disabling it will cause your line to become unstable. Any further fault calls which are caused by this change will have to be via the premium rate lines and turning interleaving back on will be charged at £14.99 as will all subsequent changes to this state.

Please confirm your understanding of this so that we can proceed.

Is this some sort of joke?

You are telling me that not only do I have to pay £14.99 for a screwed-up upgrade in the first place with no prior warning to interleaving and its effects. I now may have to fork out a possible £14.99 to have it switched back on after I request to test my line without it because my line may become unstable.. ?

Not only that I have to use the premium rate lines to do this.. I cant even ask for it to be done via an internet ticket?

I really do not understand the thinking behind this. As far as I am concerned people who had these upgrades forced on them (prior to the opt-out) and people who paid for the upgrade should be treated a hell of a lot differently.

For example, no charges for testing their lines with interleaving on and off because as far as we are concerned we didnt know of the issues caused by it. Or we already paid a fee that would of been waived in the future so this should easily be considered covered.

As far as I am concerned this effects my broadband in a detrimental way and Plusnet should consider these cases on a case by case basis and not just.. "Oh yes and you have to pay this fee and that fee, and use this telephone line fee". I cannot believe this whatsoever, the cost really doesnt bother me its just the headless chicken mode Plusnet are walking around in and then expect us the consumer to fork out for possible problems.

Can a Plusnet member of staff please explain how I can be charged for trying to fix my line. Whether you see latency as a luxury or not, if this is what your fee's are based on maybe it should be re-looked at by a case-by-case basis.

Also people already paying a fee for upgrading, should this not be covered in that because they paid for something that was classed as a free upgrade? I know we may of paid off our own back, our own choice but you have to think that somewhere down the line this has saved you £14.99.

I am totally astonished by this.. Completely dumbfounded. As far as I can see, I want to test my line with and without interleaving, this is an adverse effect of MaxDSL which I paid for with no prior warning to increased latency. Therefore in this case the customer does not wish for interleaving and had no capable way of preventing it from being put on.

Yes it may make my line lose connection altogether and in other cases it may not. So I am forced to take a chance on whether it will work or not, and if it doesnt I am charged £14.99. I really dont understand the thinking behind this.
31 REPLIES
N/A

Assigned : i believe that interleaving has been switched on iu would like it switched off please
2006-05-08
13:21:39

CSC Agent Actioned : Dear Mrs bell,
We can switch this off for you, however if at a later date you wish for it to be turned back on there will be a £14.99 one off charge.

Regards,

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html
2006-05-08
14:48:30
You
Assigned : yes would like it switched off please

Hope im doing the right thing but was worried about my loss of speed since max
willhome
Grafter

plus net gunna comment and explain why you charge?
N/A

The way Plusnet have done this and not looking at things by a "case by case basis" is totally wrong. Some of us are having extreme problems with interleaving and would like to be assured that in these cases a fee really is not appropriate as we are only trying to get the most stable and fair connection possible.

In the cases where people just want it put on for super duper latency and they had the opt-out scheme to prevent the upgrade available to them - then maybe a fee is fair.

But for customers who had no previous information on interleaving and are now suffering from utterly low speeds and high latency. Customers who had a damn better connection with fastpath should be looked at case by case and assessed.

I am not talking about none Max products. I am talking about the handful of us who had perfect speed and connection within the first several days on Max with Fastpath. Then interleaving was switched on and it turned our connection sour. This is obviously not meant to happen, so the chances of the fastpath switch back working is quite high.. But incase it doesnt shouldnt the fee's be waived as we are about as wise to the problems as you (Plusnet) are?

Also what is the premium rate number? You would of thought it would of been quoted in the ticket so you know what to do if things do go wrong.
JonathanW
Grafter

Under auto, which is what lines default to when they are upgraded to Max, BT's DLM kit intelligently applies interleaving. When a line
becomes unstable there are a number of things that can be done - Up the
SNR and/or apply interleaving. Upping the SNR reduces downstream speeds.

SNR is upped in 3db increments. As an example this could be set to 6db.
If the customer's line becomes unstable then BT would apply interleaving
at 6db. If that doesn't work they'd up the SNR to 9db without
interleaving. If that didn't work they'd apply interleaving at 9db and so on.

This means that if your line remains nice and stable then there is no reason for interleaving to be turned on.

To make any changes to interleaving on your line, it takes a member of the Broadband Ops Team a few minutes to place the order, whether this is to turn it on or off. Whilst we're willing to turn it off without charge, as a good will gesture, the decision to charge for it being turned back on is to offset the fact that you've not been charged for the initial switch off.
N/A

@ j whiting

When first maxed my stable rate was 2000 was syn"d at 1.8 everything was fine no disconnections Then went down to 1000 then 500. Today i paid £40 to have my home line re wired and my SNR went from 6 to 14.5 Do you think i should leave interleaving on or have it switched off to try to get my stable rate back up
N/A

Will the line be tested for the most stable Fastpath/SNR ratio or is it just turned onto Fastpath with the current sync speed?

All I want to know is that if I ask for Interleaving to be switched off, that BT will actually find the best stable rate without it. Not just turn it off and have it at the most demanding settings so the line drops are frequent.

I want to be assured that Plusnet/BT will do all they can to give me the best connection possible with Fastpath. Can you assure me of this?

I understand in the extreme case that Fastpath cannot be used at all I will have to pay the fee.
N/A

As I understand it the rate adaptation is rate-adaptive, and will continue to respond to changing line conditions, as it should. It seems extraordinary to me that interleaving is not similarly adaptive. Also extraordimnary that customers cannot turn it on/off at will. this is nothing to do with stability. Nearly all customers will be on a data rate that provides the NM necessary for stability - interleaving on or off is not likely so to degrade this that stability is impossible, though it may alter the correct rate for stability.

PlusNet please explain whether this apparently stupid rule is enforced by BT - in which case you should state this to avoid antagonising customers, and also work with BT to get a better system.

Best wishes, Tom
JonathanW
Grafter

To change the interleaving status we have to raise the request to BT so that they can carry out the work, and this can take a couple of days. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as just flipping a switch, pretty much in the same way that nothing else with BT is that simple.

Anything to do with the basic functionality of your connection, as it exists between you and the exchange, is the realm of BT and unfortunately we have very little influence on the requirements for an ADSL connection. But if interleaving is turned off on the line, then the BT equipment will go through the process of ensuring that your line is running as effciently as possible.
N/A

I'm somewhat between in two places right now and trying very very hard to put up with this for a couple of more days or so they say is the 10 days limit.

Seriously, getting random disconnection between 8pm to midnight is a joke where I can't play World Of Warcraft, chat to people, downloads..

Yes, there are other things to do than the Internet but I just need it as a source of contact Sad

*fumes*
N/A

I've asked for it to be switched off.. I dont think I have heard the last of this though.

*shakes head unamused* :roll:
amjrobson
Grafter

Interleaving On or Off

My line was fine and stable at 3.2 for 12 days then for some reason my line when barmy and refused to sync, I think it may have been an exchange problem as a few other people in the local area had similar problems at the same sort of time. As a result my line then synced at 2.5 with interleaving on. Now my stable rate is set at 2000 as apposed to 2500 which it was when it was on fast.

I requested to have my line set back to fast from interleaved and have just been told that if they need to put it back there will be a 14.99 charge.

Is there anyway that I can find out if the SNR Margin on my line has also been changed.

I would like to get my sync back up to 3.2 but am worried that the SNR Margin has been adjusted along with Interleaving being turned on.

Does anyone know the likly hood of my line going back to a sync rate of 3.2 if I get Interleaving turned off, or will my line rate then drop as a result of interleaving being turned off.

I know that it will only cost 14.99 to get interleaving turned back on but if after going back to fast the SNR is the changed again I could end up with an even slower line.
N/A

Interleaving is actually known to sync at lower speeds but with a more stable connection. So without it you should see a slightly less stable connection with a better sync rate and lower latency.

Interleaving seems to slow down alot of peoples connections drastically and BT really need to be informed. Their Interleaving system seems way to trigger-happy and seems to just be switching people over willy-nilly. Its a joke to say the least, but seeing PN profit from it is even worse.

Of course if PN have to pay BTw £14.99 to make the switch then I take the last statement back.
N/A

Just to make a point clear.

I was placed on interleaving yesterday morning ( 9:20 ) and then today I was given free reign to try and use as much speed as I could and interleaving was turned off.

Perhaps it may be worth waiting to see if your max connection will give you fast path automatically or not. If not then you could make a decision as apposed to jumping in head first?
N/A

What do you mean by free reign? (I have been on Interleaving since the night of day 3, now on day 11).