cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely slow connection speeds! Help!

N/A

Been with plus.net 8mb for afew months now, while its never been great its always connected at 200-400kbps so browsing and minimal gaming was still possible. However recently its dropped to all new lows of 67kbps download and 55kbps upload. This makes even browsing slow and ugly, its driving me mad, can anyone help as to why its lagging to such a extent?: Cry

Edit : Test was done with http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ .. http://speedtester.bt.com/ wouldnt even run for me Sad Did email plus.net about the problem before xmas but got an exciting auto response :roll:
57 REPLIES
N/A

Erm, you can't email plusnet for support - you have to use the ticket system in the Help and Support section of the portal.

I'm moving this thread into Community Support to see if one of the Comm's guys can help.
N/A

Join the club.

I'm wondering what the ratio is for people getting the speeds they think they should be getting VS those who are getting speeds not much better than dial-up.

All I want is a rock solid 2mb connection. I don't play games online, I don't d/l music or films (i do watch the occasional youtube vid though), I just surf and appreciate updates for software downloading quickly. 8mb would be wasted on me.
James
Grafter

The issue you are seeing is down to BT having a 160kbps profile applied against your line.

I would strongly advise changing your microfilters and testing from the master socket.

This will hopefully result in your speeds being picked up within a couple of days, otherwise I can raise a fault to BT.
Community Veteran

I've been having very sudden and major speed issues for just over 24hours now, just about to start doing a monitoring log of speed tests etc!

I'm back btw, dunno how long I will stay this time depends on how much repetitive dull posts there are this time lol
N/A

The issue you are seeing is down to BT having a 160kbps profile applied against your line.

I would strongly advise changing your microfilters and testing from the master socket.

This will hopefully result in your speeds being picked up within a couple of days, otherwise I can raise a fault to BT.

Hey james.. thansk for your reply, sorry but your talking to a layman here.. might have to go easy on me Smiley Whats a microfilter and how can i change it? :lol:
James
Grafter

The microfilter is the splitter box that you should have plugged into all of your BT sockets.

You should have your modem connecting into one of those, and ideally your modem should be connecting into a filter, into your master socket to give the best possible results.
N/A

'speedtouch' ASDL filter

that the one? Happen to have a spare one lurking around.. should i swap them and redo tests?
Community Veteran

yeah, just swap them over and test it over the next 30mins or so!
N/A

ok cool, thx Smiley Will be back in 30min or so to let y'all know how it goes Tongue fingers crossed!
N/A

Hmm a noted improvement already, just did the test and it got 138 d/l and 293 u/l .. will continue to keep an eye on it for a bit :shock: Also, would the cables make any difference? Have lots of exciting different colours to choose from.. blue, yellow , grey, white etc! :lol:
N/A

Hello again.. problem is still persisting.. after holding at around 100 kbps d/l for awhile.. it stopped working all together on that microfilter, after 30min of fiddling i decided to replace the original filter. Immediately the internet sprang back into life at its regular slow 100 kbps. Seems doubtful that that was the problem Sad Any other suggestions we could try?
Regards
slsl39
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What speed is your modem/router sync'd at? At some point it's dropped below 288kbps, which is why the throughput has been set to 160kbps. In order for the throughput to increase the line needs to sync at a higher rate for at least 3-5 days.

If it's still sync'd below 288kbps then we need to look into why, if it's higher now, then so long as it stays higher you should be OK in 3-5 days, unless it decreases again then we need to find out what's causing it to drop.
N/A

Hi,

What speed is your modem/router sync'd at? At some point it's dropped below 288kbps, which is why the throughput has been set to 160kbps. In order for the throughput to increase the line needs to sync at a higher rate for at least 3-5 days.

If it's still sync'd below 288kbps then we need to look into why, if it's higher now, then so long as it stays higher you should be OK in 3-5 days, unless it decreases again then we need to find out what's causing it to drop.

How do i find out what speed my modem/router is sync'd at?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What sort of modem/router do you have?

The following page lists how to get all the line stats on a lot of hardware:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

if it's not listed then if you post what sort you we can try and find out, but it's usually listed on the router setup pages in the case of a router, or will tell you when you click on the connection icon next to the clock if it's USB.