cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase the price of PN Premier 2mb

N/A

I suggest the following:

Increase PlusNet 2mb Premier monthly price from £21.99 to £28 a month (In line with most other ISP's). In return for the increased price customers get a account that has no throttling / capping applied to any services. Most customers would rather pay a higher fee and get a better service than be restricted.

Customers wanting the 4mb / 8mb service would have to pay more than £28 as they will probably be downloading more due to their increased bandwidth.

Customers who only use HTTP / SMTP can stick with BB+ or pay as you go options. Surely this is a compromise that will benefit Plusnet and the users. Plusnet get increased revenues and the Premier customer gets a service suited to games / high downloaders as promised when they signed up for the service.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think £24.99 would be a good price point...
N/A

its not practial to have no caps / unrestricted usage.

Free for all wont work, - u then get pepole leecher several hundred gigs which simply isnt acceptable.

HOWEVER

If the price did go up to £28, i'd expect say just the sup profile as currently is.
and bronze traffice to be far less contended during peak.
That i could live with
N/A

You Said

"Free for all wont work, - u then get pepole leecher several hundred gigs which simply isnt acceptable."

Even a heavy downloader like myself doesnt exceed 90gb total in a month. If we had more revenue coming in from subscriptions this would cover the cost for PN to upgrade their hardware to cope with heavy demand at peak times.

You dont get the electricity board capping power supplies when its a break in between a movie and everyone is making cups of tea. You simply allow extra capacity for peak periods of use.

You will always get a few greedy users regardless of it you apply throttling or not. Ever since PN applied throttling my mate has been finding ways to hack around it to get 232k downloads from NNTP in peak times.
N/A

I do agree yet I also disagree.

f2s are charging £24.99 for up to 8mb. They arent charging by speed anymore.

I personally think that PN should take an approach such as;

Up to 8mb with 15gig cap - £16.00 p/m
Up to 8mb with 45gig cap - £22.00 p/m
Up to 8mb wih no caps - £29.99 p/m

In line with this I reckon like f2s PN should abolish BB+ (clearly there is no difference anymore between BB+ and premier) and have 1 single ADSL package which is then split into cap bands.

I also personally feel that the throttle should be slacked a little also.
N/A

What was wrong with charging people more cash for faster speed internet?. This system worked fine for years. Its pretty obvious that a user with a 24mb ADSL connection will download more data than a 512k user. Nobody buys a 24mb connection to load a webpage 0.0001 seconds faster than there old 2mb connection did.
Community Veteran

Don't theyHuh
N/A

What was wrong with charging people more cash for faster speed internet?. This system worked fine for years. Its pretty obvious that a user with a 24mb ADSL connection will download more data than a 512k user. Nobody buys a 24mb connection to load a webpage 0.0001 seconds faster than there old 2mb connection did.

Errrrm,

Yup they do. The thing is as well, yes I do transfer data over the net and speed is a decisive issue in this. However I dont move huge amounts of data and cannot justify paying huge amounts of money to move the odd 500mb from A to B just that bit faster.
And besides this, what is the point of charging by speed if BT charge by BW usage ?
I say give the EU the speed they want just put a BW cap in place and charge them according to that. as I suggested above.
N/A

pcexpert - certainly i agree with you that plusnet should be charing more so that the service isnt as restricted. but theres no way they can just make it a free for all.

E.g

Premier 2mbit at £21.99 - With this plusnet have budgeted 10Gig of bandwidth.
If your doing 90gig, there loosing out quite a bit of money.

21.99 splits up to something like this (not sure on the exact figures)

£8 Per Port for teh customer
Prob another £7 to pay for CS / Running costs/ Staff wages etc
leaving approx £7 for 10gigs.

90gig would be something in the region of £60 maybe less maybe more.
And it seems plusnet dont want this atm.

Consideing video on demmand and such services will be appearing over the next few years and a larger number of people will be using more than 10gig a month, (sure centrals etc will come down in price) but there taking a very cautius step.

I definatly think there package range needs a complete rethink, as its a bit of a mess atm.

Hell, if they didnt want to upset customers, they could do this

BB+ - for HTTP / EMail (up to 2mbit only)
Premier - For all protocols, with 15Gigs on bronze traffic. (up to 4mbit only)
Enthusiast package - For all protocols, with Sup only. No limits on bronze and good speeds with a maximum on 10% SPEED (not packet) drop on bronze)(up to 8mbit only) £30 for 4 , £40 for 8 Huh

Something along those lines might work
N/A

Premier price increase

I've thought that an increase in price would be a good idea for some time now. I would happily move to another isp (such as Zen or Eclipse who charge over £30 a month) if I thought i was able to get a decent service. I think Plusnet and other ISP's need to realise that there is no benefit to having high speed broadband simply for browsing. Also don't they think that eventually their actions can only be detrimental in the long term, as once those customers who are locked into 12 month contracts have fulfilled their obligation will quit and move on to another provider.
N/A

People are forgetting that alot of foke download stuff over http, and those speeds are aok

most linux distors have http and ftp mirrors for example
N/A

Before i signed up for PN i always thought it was wierd that they could charge just £21.99 for 2mb uncapped when every other ISP was charging £28+ for the same service. Now i know that you well and trully "Get what you pay for".

Throttling / capping may be the way fowards for ISP's but until im forced down that route im gonna bunnyhop around various ISP's each year.
N/A

even at £30 an isp cant offer unlimited for long..

Look at the price of 1:5 SDSL, or even 1:1 DSL, several hundred £

U pay less, u get heaveir restrictions, as u said. you get what you pay for

i'd be happier if there was more expensive version of the premier accounts that had less restrictions
N/A

I don't think charging by speed is the right option, as so many people are speed limited due to their location.

In my mind, I would happily pay for a capping limit that I could choose, not have forced upon me.

I'm pretty miffed at the recent capping on NNTP and I'm only on a 1Mb link, so I'm not surprised that you guys on the 2Mb links are so incensed.

All those who are heavy users purely through NNTP might as well downgrade to a lower speed so that you know you are never going to reach the capping limit and be spending money for a service you can't use.
LiamM
Grafter

Putting the price up will only serve to punish the majority of Plusnet's users.

Plusnet can sustain all but a couple of percent of people's usage at the £21.99 price point. Even if you hit the monthly SUP levels you still cost Plusnet well over the £21.99. Why should 98% of users pay more, just to subsidise the 2% that Plusnet cannot sustain.