cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in Spam

painswck
Grafter

Increase in Spam

I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem. Over the last 3 days I have seen a significant increase of spam received. This is both to my main PlusNet account, and a domain hosted on it, and to an old f-o-l account I still keep running.

These are not addressed to random mailboxes but specific ones. No don't use the addresses for usenet or such things.

Not a particular problem but strange all the increases at the same time on these addresses.

Wondering how they are being 'harvested'

Roland
3 REPLIES
N/A

Increase in Spam

Hi There

There has been an increase of late in the amount of SPAM received, now while of course we never give your details to any third parties there are other ways that people can get your address. From the very basic guessing of names and addresses to more complex methods, please see the tutorial at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/28 for details of how to combat this and the methods that SPAM is generated.
painswck
Grafter

Increase in Spam

Thanks for the response Stewart.

Sorry was not suggesting that PlusNet had given out my details (apart from anything else if you got found doing that it would quickly kill your business).

Just strange that until the last few days have had almost no spam on these addresses, unlike some other old accounts I have (like freeserve) which now generate more spam than genuine mail.

Anyway sounds as if you have seen a general increase.

Thanks

Roland
N/A

Increase in Spam

Hi There

No problems at all, and yes we have seen a general upturn as has the world in general to be honest, we do have the SPAM filtering and this is a system which learns and develops but like anything it is an ongoing fight.