cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase Sig Size Limit?

Community Veteran

Increase Sig Size Limit?

Hi,
I was just wondering what people think of the idea to increase the signature letter limit... it's currently set at 255 characters, which, if you consider the number of letters in some URLs, ends up not being much. So, I was wondering if it could maybe be, say, doubled?

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Thomas
9 REPLIES
N/A

Increase Sig Size Limit?

If people are entering URLs into the signature, the they will most likely be aware there are ways around the limit.

These include smaller links that redirect.
csogilvie
Grafter

Increase Sig Size Limit?

I would i agree withncreasing it rather than forcing people to sign up for an external service to shorten their links.
N/A

Increase Sig Size Limit?

Doesn't require a signup process.

It can quite easily be done using standard HTML or javascript. Thus the +Net webspace can be used.
jberry
Grafter

Increase Sig Size Limit?

And done ... Cheesy

Sig charactor limit now set to 510. If we have any problems then I will have to change it back but I can't think of any particular reason why we would do at the moment.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Increase Sig Size Limit?

Thanks Josh.... next time I visit F9 and FOL I'll do it there as well, unless you've beaten me to it! Wink

And Philip, I do know of (two of) the services you mention... but they are only a workaround. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Increase Sig Size Limit?

When you say max sig size in characters i would like to know what is the acceptable size for a link to a gif image. :?:

In pixel x pixel and in size kb

I had a sig and u told me it was too big Sad But 510 charcters is huge :shock: compared to my leetle image (leetle being 400x100 pixls)

Hm wot does u think :?:
N/A

Increase Sig Size Limit?

You have to bear in mind file size (there are people on 56K here as well as flash ADSL) and also it must not distort the page view.
N/A

Increase Sig Size Limit?

512 bytes, or 0.5KB is tiny copared to even small gif or JPG files.

The static emote icons on the forum are only half of this. However, they are small and I very much doubt people will be want them that small.
Community Veteran

Increase Sig Size Limit?

When you say max sig size in characters i would like to know what is the acceptable size for a link to a gif image. :?:

In pixel x pixel and in size kb

I had a sig and u told me it was too big Sad But 510 charcters is huge :shock: compared to my leetle image (leetle being 400x100 pixls)

Hm wot does u think :?:

510 characters can be very small or very big... for instance, those 510 characters could be used in mostly links hidden from view by the use of some display text.

Just stick to the avatar size limitis for your sigs... though, in general, we're not a hige fan of sig images (but we won't go out of our way to make you remove yours if you have one, provided it's within the limits).

Thomas