cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming emails are bouncing back .. anyone else?

newinvention
Grafter

In the last 24 hours, 2 people have told me that their emails to me bounced back to them. Below are the stats they sent me. I'm going to raise a ticket (wearily), but while Plusnet get around to answering it can anyone comment on this - nothing on Service Status shows a problem with emails. What does "bad destination host" mean - is this the blacklisting thing I read elsewhere? Actually I just noticed that the domain name mentioned in email 1 isn't spellt right - why would that be? (Should be "newinvention" not "ne")

Email one (yesterday):
The following message to was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up neinvention.plus.com (MX): NXDomain'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;sarah@neinvention.plus.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up neinvention.plus.com (MX): NXDomain' (delivery attempts: 0)
Reporting-MTA: dns; mk-ironport-4.mail.uk.tiscali.com

Email two (today):
> Delivery failed
> 550-Verification failed for <david@xxxx> [name blanked out]
> 550-REJECTED: Cannot route message
> 550 Sender verify failed

Can anyone comment?

I have been persuaded to get myself an email account that is not tied in with this ISP, and I'm going to be looking into that asap.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

by the looks of things the email is addressed to "neinvention" when it should be "newinvention" ... so is it user fingertrouble rather than a PN problem?
N/A

The reason is simple - the email address "sarah@neinvention.plus.com" doesn't exist because the host "neinvention.plus.com" is bad (doesn't exist), so the message can't be delivered, so it's returned to the sender.

No fault there - just someone who can't spell properly Wink
newinvention
Grafter

ok ... I do see that now Shockedops: ... but what about the 2nd email, which doesn't have the same message?
N/A

Well, that is different, but with just "david@xxxx" we can't do an awfull lot.

I do wonder whether the "Verification failed for X" means that the sender host is trying to do SMTP VRFY, which is supported by quite a small number of ISPs (Most disable it for security and privacy reasons). If this is the case, they (whoever sent the message) need to reconfigure there mail server so it doesn't try and verify the sender/recipient.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi,

The second error is almost the opposite of the first. The sender's SMTP server is rejecting attempts to send email due to the actual address the email is being sent from.

This may be because it is spelt incorrectly in the sender's mail account properties or as squidgey has suggested it could be that the server will not accept email sent from this particular domain.

Either way it's a problem specific to the sender, not to you or us.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

newinvention
Grafter

Thanks Bob for your reply .. it's nice to hear from a member of staff!