cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound email from autoturn - but why?

Lorian
Grafter

I have my own SMTP server, it's been working fine for months.

My SMTP server has been up all the time, and DNS correctly has a lower MX record value for my server than for autoturn. So why am I getting the occasional inbound email from autoturn when I finger it? Surely there should be none.

It's a problem because any email in this way avoids the SPF checks on my ASSP platform.
26 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

How much of the mail is spam? I get exactly the same but as far as I remember every mail that I've received via Autoturn when my mail server has been on is spam.

Reason is that spammers will sometimes send email to the secondary MX server in the hope that the secondary MX has less spam protection so more likely to accept their spam.
Lorian
Grafter

I just did some analysis back over the last few days, Most of it's SPAM, but also lots of it is emails from ebay (member messages, auction ending notices etc). There is also one from a (non spam) source in the netherlands.

I can see that spammers might send to the last MX record on purpose, but not ebay.....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Could you mail server have been down/busy at the time the first email from ebay was sent? Could be that their DNS servers than had the secondary MX cached for the subsequent mails.
Lorian
Grafter

No, I don't think so. The mail server has been 100% up, and there are LOTS of ebay mails come in that route (dozens) over the last few days.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

What about the broadband connection? Your connection logs show a couple of disconnections over the last few days, although probably no more than a minute downtime could be enough to cause 1 ebay mail to go to Autoturn and then others as I say could go there if the DNS record is cached.
Lorian
Grafter

I guess it's possible, but surely they would only cache the DNS entry as long as the TTL entry allowed?

looking at my autoturn log its been happening for more than a week.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Do you have any mail server logs showing ebay trying to connect to your mail server? Wondering if there's some reason that it could be rejecting the connections and so it's trying Autoturn instead.
Robtheplod
Grafter

we have lots of customers on plusnet SMTP email and this occurs without fail at every site. all have to finger autoturn regularly to get mail - sometimes have 500+ in the queue even if the server has been ready and waiting for mail... just thought it's the way things were, but if there is a way to stop these queues then great, I'm all ears...!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't have a lot of mail going through autoturn but do get some, I just think it's the way mail works and why backup MX records are necessary. Most of the time it'll just be spammers trying to bypass spam protection but sometimes it won't be.
N/A

autoturn

I have complaining about this for a couple of months now, since the new servers came online, all the spam is coming from the autoturn, but my logs show no activity for somtimes 10 minutes or more, so why are they coing from the autoturn?
I manage 3 customers mail servers 2 domains hosted with PN and 1 hosted with 1&1, the PN domains all have autoturns and the 1&1 has 1 or 2 a day because of directory harvest attacks on it and it also gets about 500/600 a day compaired to the PN domains that have upto a hundred a day?.
So the mail is going striaght to the autoturn and not direct to my smtp or my customers?
Never had a problem before the new servers came online in Feb, I was able to filter out spam by IP ranges but I'm unable to now because PN's mail servers (84.92.6.?) upwards.
rslsys
Grafter

I have been having this problem (and client sites with SMTP/PlusNet combinations) for so long that I have given up trying to get an answer. I just set up a finger to run every 10 minutes and allow the mail to de-queue that way.

If autoturn begins to take a long time to respond or refuses to respond, that is normally a precursor to Plus having mail problems.

This has been happening since well before the introduction of the new mail servers.
Lorian
Grafter

Do you have any mail server logs showing ebay trying to connect to your mail server? Wondering if there's some reason that it could be rejecting the connections and so it's trying Autoturn instead.

sorry, I was away for a few days. I checked the logs, these messages don't seem to be attempted to my smtp server beforehand.
Robtheplod
Grafter

is it possible to remove autoturn from the MX records so if our smtp server is not online email bounces back? - this would help with the spam problems at lots of sites i suspect ?
Liam
Grafter

Not currently, though this is something that we are looking into working on in the future. Unfortunately, however, it requires an overhaul of our Domain Control System.