cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate usage figures

dejjones
Grafter

Inaccurate usage figures

I recently queried my VMBU figures because I was extremely suspicious of their accuracy, particularly, my free usage before 8am didn't seem to be getting counted. I got an unsatisfactory response from posting on this forum,
See:-http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57192,and was advised to raise a ticket, to which I got an equally unsatisfactory response.
I have since been monitoring my usage with "Nettlimiter" and intend to compare it with PN's VMBU over a period. I can already see discrepancies which confirm that VMBU figures are often wrong.
I now realise, from other threads, that there are others out there who are suspicious of the VMBU figures.
I am surprised that PN do not appear to be that interested in making customers feel confident that the system is accurate; after all this affects peoples pockets!
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Inaccurate usage figures

Hi,

I'd be interested to see the data, there are a number of reasons for differences though. First VMBU measures 1GB as being 1000MB, 1MB = 1000KB and 1KB = 1000bytes.

Other counters may measure 1GB = 1024MB, 1MB = 1024KB and 1KB = 1024bytes which will give you a difference of about 7.5%. There's also background noise and keep alive data that will just bounce off your firewall and not get measured on the PC. Also if you're on either BBYW or PAYG then because of the switch over between chargeable and free usage at midnight and 8am any data that we aren't 100% sure fits in to either time period (the data isn't processed in real time but in batches every few minutes so we might have 15 minutes of usage between 11:55pm and 12:10am but we can't tell which of the usage is before midnight and which after) isn't counted in the totals but on BBYW is counted in the breakdown.

So if you regularly have a lot of usage within a few minutes of midnight or 8am then there are possibilities the figures won't match 100%. It's designed to work so that you aren't billed for usage just before 8am or just after midnight but does mean that VMBU isn't 100% accurate on all the figures.
dejjones
Grafter

Inaccurate usage figures

I'm not talking about small discrepancies here.

As I said in my question (22282954), I deliberately chose to download an update to my antivirus software well before 8am because the download was 81mb, but VMBU recorded only 1 or 2 MB of free download that day.

Two other examples:-
16 July Nettlimiter records 12.16MB between 0700 & 0800 VMBU records 146KB free usage for the day.

21 July Nettlimiter records 13.5MB between 0000 & 0100 and 2.8MB between 0600 & 0700 VMBU records 4.08MB free usage for the day.

Incidentally I was told by support staff that they can not close Questions. I was leaving this Question(22282954)open until I had compiled some more figures to prove my point, but I now see that the Question is closed due to 14 days of inactivity.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Inaccurate usage figures

Incidentally I was told by support staff that they can not close Questions. I was leaving this Question(22282954)open until I had compiled some more figures to prove my point, but I now see that the Question is closed due to 14 days of inactivity.

That's a script that automatically runs in order to prevent tickets remaining open indefinetely. Support staff cannot close tickets themselves unless the ticket was created by PlusNet systems.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Inaccurate usage figures

If VMBU is always recording less than Netlimiter then to be honest I wouldn't worry. It will almost certain be a case of that data was just discounted from the total because the system couldn't identify which was peak and off peak.
dejjones
Grafter

Inaccurate usage figures

There are also examples of nettlimiter recording much less than VMBU. However my intention is only to see if I'm being overcharged, so I shall compare it over a month or two.
So far this month it does look as if the "paid for" VMBU figure is less than my calculated figure from Nettlimiter. If this continues I shall be happy.