cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important notice

Community Veteran

Important notice

At the risk of breaking the rules myself and posting the same thing twice I think its important in case anybody has missed the announcement at the top of this forum.

The anouncement is as follows:-

Strict Application of Forum Rules
In the light of the current high feelings and argumentative postings that are appearing on these forums, normal Moderating is now impossible. The Moderators have considered the situation as follows.

There seems to be three options open to us.

1. Do nothing and hope that things will right themselves.
This is not considered to be reasonable to the users who are not abusing the forums.

2. Shut down the forums for a period.
This is again not fair on anybody.

3. Remove posting rights for those causing problems.
This will leave the forums as a better place for those who abide by the rules.

We have decided on the following action (option 3) which is the only way we can see of being fair to everyone

Anybody who posts in a manner that attacks another individual or hijacks threads taking them off topic for their own ends will have their posting rights removed without notice for a period of one calendar month to allow the situation to cool down.
After the expiry of this month they will be re admitted to the forums but should they again draw attention to themselves in the same way they will receive a permanent ban.

This action will only apply to posts made after the posting of this announcement

Please take note and act accordingly with your postings.
47 REPLIES
N/A

Important notice

How many days are there in a calender month?

Or do you mean that if you're removed on the 28th, you can come back on the next 28th?

Is this an automated process? If not, don't forget to un'remove' them, otherwise you could be called a liar.

Thankyou. :shock:
Community Veteran

Important notice

A calendar month is just that.
So if you had your rights removed today 27th Feb then you would br re admitted to the forums on 27th March.
holdtight
Grafter

Important notice

I think thats fair enough and a reasonable solution, the feedback forum especially has been deluged recently making it difficult for users with genuine feedback to get anywhere
thats without all the other pages and pages in other threads , i can think of a few names who might just finally give it a rest after this announcement Cheesy

crossing of fingers Wink
channel
Grafter

Important notice

John,

I trust this is an appropriate place to ask for a point of clarification?

Does the notice regarding the "Strict Application of Forum Rules" apply to all of the plus net forum areas or just Customer Feedback?

I am a bit confused because the use of the words "these forums" seems to suggest that it is all forum areas (and one of the replies above also indicates that at least one other user believes that the announcement applies to forum areas other than Customer Feedback), but the sticky is only present on the Customer Feedback forum. I wonder whether the sticky should be on every area of the forum to give fair warning to all?
Community Veteran

Important notice

This would apply to all forums, although the majority of the problems noticed are in this one. If it was only applied to customer feedback, we would be moving the problem to another forum.
N/A

Important notice

I know that we should all stick to the rules, but as there has been some (a lot?) of flexibility in the past do you not think that this announcement should be put on all Forums? After all, especially due to recent controversy, many subscribers may not visit this forum.
N/A

Important notice

PN could do just that by installing the Global Announcement mod on their forum so that the announcement goes in all sub forums however when people reply to it there is only one discussion and not several threads of the same content.
Ianwild
Grafter

Important notice

Unfortunately because of the way these forums are integrated into our portal, with a significant amount o fbespoke code to do that, installing any additional mods is far more work than it's possible to perform without other projects slipping.

Regards,

Ian
channel
Grafter

Important notice

Can't one of the mods just cut and paste it into each of the forum areas? It would be grossly unfair if in one of the (currently) non-notified forum areas, someone was banned for one calendar month just for taking a thread off topic.
Ianwild
Grafter

Important notice

I'd agree that would be unfair and I'm sure a Mod can do that when they have time.

We need to keep clarity for everyone, but I haven't seen anything like the posts that have caused this situation in any other forums...

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

Important notice

Yes we could but there are quite a lot of forum sections these days and this is only meant to be a temporary measure.
Looking at the past couple of weeks pretty well all of the anger and personal attacks have been on this section of the forums. There has been just the odd one on the ADSL section.
So it may well warrant posting it there which I will do but I think most if not all users do read this feedback section.
Community Veteran

Important notice

Yes we can.

If I get a chance between 13:00 and 16:00 I will do all or some of them, unless anyone else picks up on it.

Otherwise I will sort them out tonight.

Chris
N/A

Important notice

I am a fairy called enuff, fairy nuff, thank you fa55dsl
Alecto
Grafter

Important notice

It would be grossly unfair if in one of the (currently) non-notified forum areas, someone was banned for one calendar month just for taking a thread off topic.

This implies that the slightest thing will get you banned.

Surely, the post from the mods is quite specific
Anybody who posts in a manner that attacks another individual or hijacks threads taking them off topic for their own ends will have their posting rights removed.
So the odd post slightly off topic, which has always happened with no great harm done. shouldn't be a problem, and people who aren't out to cause trouble shouldn't need to worry, should they?