cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important news about your broadband!!!!

N/A

I recieved an email on 1st Aug 2006 stating that "we will be updating your broadband connection to use a new part of our broadband network on 07-08-2006"

Well on the 07-08-2006 I did some speed tests and I was getting 2000+kpbs which I was quite happy with. Went away on buisness and can back yesterday, wife complained about the Internet saying how slow it was so today I have had a look and I am getting connection speeds of 67kpbs thru 180kpbs which quite frankly is rubbish!!!

So I looked at the email again to see if I had missed anything but could find nothing other than a statement thus "We will email you to let you know when the move is complete" well guess what, I haven't recieved the email.

So having looked at the forums tonight I find that a LOT of people seem to be experiencing the same issues. I have opened a ticket via the Help Assitant (ID: 20039389 ) but as yet no response other than the following which made me laugh then made me angry: -

"The automatic test process returned me the following:

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service."

Acceptable? So no speed is aceptable!!!

Stupid question but is anybody else having the same sort of issues? And what if anything is the recommended course of action to get this resolved.

BRING BACK MY 2MB connection :-(

John
9 REPLIES
N/A

Yeah im having exactly the same issues, except ive never had a reply from f9! They just ignore your tickets now, I think there hoping they will just go away Cheesy and they will as customers get fed up of the service which f9 is now providing. I've never had a problem with any of their policies or anything they have done! But this takes the biscuit, connection is slow as all day, all night, everyday its funny because they just applied peak time management and its made no difference to my connection which makes me think that they just not resetting the management!
mar7t1n
Grafter

This is a common MAXADSL issue. It works fine most of the time doing pretty much what it should, but then their's a glitch. The BT equipment detects this fault and drops the line rate so you can keep working. In theory you would have been disconnected totally for a while under standard ADSL. But ADSLMAX keeps you going although at a lot slower speed.

BUT! Once the BT equipment sees an issue it keeps you pegged down at a lower line speed. They do have glitch detection that will put you straight back up if it only happens once, but usually when you get a fault you usually end up connecting a couple of times at the lower speed before you even realise it. So then your line has to get monitored for 3 days and BT will only upgrade you back to the worst line speed seen in the last three day period.

I have an issue on my line which my current theory is that when the street lights come on the speed drops. So I have to put up with the speed it will run at when the street lights come on all day. The only way round it is to turn it all off before dusk every day. Why the system can't just run you at whatever line sync speed you attain at the time and negotiate you down if there's a issue later I really don't know?

So basicually this is an issue with the BT equipment not F9. Going elsewhere will not help I promise you. Yes you might get a nice lady/lad who makes you feel all warm inside but the BT equipment will do what it wants and you will have to wait 3 days for it to reset. They may say they've done something but they can't unless your line really is broken. And currently F9 have lots of people compaining that their line speed has dropped a bit because they don't understand how ADSLMAX works. OK yes that is perhaps an F9 communication issue.

Hopefully BT will one day sort this all out. Perhaps reset line profiles with the seaons, reduce time outs, allow you to say it was me or something.

But what can you do to help yourself:

1. Get a decent Microfilter not a cheap plug in one. Try www.adslnation.com for one that plugs into your master socket. £12 - very impressed with mine it did improved my max sync speeds a little from 3500kbps to 4200kbps.

2. Disconnect as much rubbish from your line as you can. Multiple phones, badly wired extensions, Caller ID boxes etc. I ripped out my extension and now plug the router into the master socket and just use wireless.

3. Turn off your router whenever you aren't using it. A lot of users will leave theirs on 24/7 but if you only use your machine for a couple of hours a day you increase the risk of a line glitch being detected and your speed being dropped. And you're wasting electricty! If you do need to leave your router on overnight for big downloads then do reboot it from time to time to get the best sync speed you can.

4. If you spot that you've connected at a lower line speed, or you get disconnected then pull everything out and go and do something else until tomorrow. If it's a transient fault you'll save your line speed.

5. Don't put a Christmas Tree with flashing lights or anything else like this anywhere near your phone line!

Hope that helps!
N/A

Are you sure you haven't been placed on the alternative provider? If so, the BT speedtest is worthless and will not report anything correctly. Currently there is o speedchecker or fault diagnosis tool for LLU.

Mark
mar7t1n
Grafter

You might like to try:

F9 Current reported stable rate
http://portal.f9.net.uk/my.html?action=stable_rate

A decent external speed test utility
http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
N/A

Thanks for your kind responses. I will try some of this when I get home.

I did think it odd that the F9 auto speed testing tool which they run when you report a problem with your broadband checks it using a BT tool, when they tell you that they have moved you to a non BT supplier. I guess there automed tool needs updating...

John

Post More Later..
N/A

Re: Important news about your broadband!!!!

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service."

F9 gave me the same message, BT state if you get less then 200kbps it’s an expectable service so no fault. BT do say this but only at peak time not all day. But F9 are fobbing customers off who get slow download speed wit this message and then close the ticket.

My BT exchange is a cross the road and I only get 4.5mg tops

My broadband is the only tthing on the line so the point about unpluging and getting better microfilters is not true. BT did all my internal extensions house is 3 years old ring wire disconneted and the best wires used all cables are underground my total wire lenth is 350 feet. Also my BT exchange is in a very small village and is not full up!
N/A

mar7t1n,

Can i just say, that was a very good post and contains some very important information about some of the current problems which users are currently having.

:lol:
astarsolutions
Grafter

1. Get a decent Microfilter not a cheap plug in one. Try www.adslnation.com for one that plugs into your master socket. £12 - very impressed with mine it did improved my max sync speeds a little from 3500kbps to 4200kbps.

This is a common misconception, if you look in a microfilter you will see that the ADSL port is connected straight to the BT plug. If you want to make improvements you need to put decent microfilters on every telephone and plug your modem straight into the wall socket using a normal dialup modem lead.
N/A

Now NO DSL Connection at all......

Got the following response from F9, but I couldn't actually read it till I got to work because :-( :-( I now have NO DSL connection at all. :-( :-( I have treid 2 different modems etc etc so I have now had to raise another support call to say I would test it but!!!!!

Dear Mr Boycott,
We have performed some line bassed profile changes to your account, in order to try and stablise the service. This process may see your highest speed result decrease, which is to be expected, due to the way that ADSL operates. Speed v's stability is a trade-off.

Please do monitor this and let us know if the problems persist.

Regards,
*** removed ***

Mod Note - Removed CSA Name 19.47 15th Aug