cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important News! BT to aquire PlusNet plc.

Liam
Grafter

We would like to inform customers that it has been announced this morning that BT has made a recommended offer to acquire us, PlusNet plc.

Further information, press release etc... will be posted in due course and I will link to them from here when they are live.

Thanks for your patience guys,
Liam
157 REPLIES
markn

Community Veteran

I sincerely wish this acquisition will go smoothly for all those that have been trying to build PN into a great business, and for those that have let it slip, lets hope they are shown the door.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Liam
Grafter

Further information here for you guys :

http://www.plus.net/features/news/plusnet_offer_details.shtml
frusher
Dabbler

Are we destined to simply become a 'quirkly' offshoot of the main BT Broadband user base??

I am guessing that BT are cherry picking some of the online customer management/portal activities which Plusnet are using, aswell as bagging more customers to add to their numbers at the same time.

What is going to the the impact on the LLU customers? I can not see a BT subsiduary carrying on with that strategy...

Guess the support will be offshored?Huh
Community Veteran

38 page .pdf file available via PN here
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

No surprises there then...

MACs ahoy!
N/A

Such a shame. At present my feelings are the day the deals signed will be the day I'll request my MAC code. Sad
N/A

BT and PlusNet.

Surely BT's bid to acquire PlusNet is a direct result of the local loop unbundling that PlusNet have been doing in their association with Tiscali? BT may well be concerned about loss of control and income from all of those lines. It is well-known that BT have been dawdling over LLU, and who can blame them.

What we would like to know from BT (rather than PlusNet, who's management will surely be subsumed completely in BT's massive empire) is whether all of Plus' referral discounts, product pricing, and other differentiating features, will be mantained.

And, a further point: is it PlusNet only? What about Force9 and PlusNet's other very very close associate companies? (If that is the correct term to describe them).

Finally: is this a sign of PlusNet's success? Or of failure?

Kenneth Spencer
N/A

I hope James or any of the comms team arn't a victim of outsourcing.
Seriously don't want call centers in Indian tho.

Not really sure if this buyout will be a good thing or bad.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Indian call centres and even worse service to come.

The final straw.
Liam
Grafter

@kaspencer - PlusNet plc includes PlusNet, Force9, Free-Online and Metronet. All of these come under the PlusNet plc family.

It's BT Retail that are making the bid, not BT Wholesale. BT Wholesale are not allowed to provide retail broadband services and are restricted quite heavily by Ofcom. This is so that they cannot unfairly advantage themselves by undercutting their own pricing. Besides, BT Wholesale & BT Openreach will still get a sizeable chunk of revenue from LLU providers - and for less management.

As the press release said :
"BT’s immediate plans are to continue to operate PlusNet as a separate entity within the BT group from its Sheffield offices. It is of great importance to BT to retain PlusNet’s distinct identity and culture and for it to continue to trade under the PlusNet brand."

Hope this helps :-)
N/A

Liam,

those are the immediate plans. How about the slightly more futuristic plans of say 6 months time. Pricing structure to reflect BT and products likewise etc perhaps?
N/A

Sounds like all this 6-months long 'abuse' of the loyal and patient PN customers (by drastically lowering quality of ALL services) has happened 'by design' in order to maximise the share price. Goals achieved: rich getting richer, good and honest workers will be made redundant and PN customers got slap in the face for their loyalty and naivety.. dunno what else is there Smiley
Liam
Grafter

I can't read the future, unfortunately. But the way I see it. In the next 6 - 12 months the product set we have now would be developed, changed and improved anyway. We'll certainly not stop developing and introducing new products. Whether we're part of BT or if we were independent. If that makes sense.

The key for me is this quote from the press release :

"It is of great importance to BT to retain PlusNet’s distinct identity and culture and for it to continue to trade under the PlusNet brand."