cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implications of Service Announcement

Community Veteran

IIRC pn have some agreement that they're never more than a week from a central if need be. whether that's lighting a central or actually have one installed I Don't know and i may be wrong anyhow.
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

This announcement
BT Central Segment Brought Online
We are pleased to announce that earlier today we brought another segment of one of our BT Central pipes online.

As part of our capacity based network growth strategy this upgrade is not necessary, this work has been done to facilitate the transfer of Metronet customers onto our network.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Whiting
Customer Support
implies that it is the intention to ultimately dispense with the Metronet pipes, presumably because of the difficulty of mixing 155's and 622's.
Given that Metronet currently have 3 x 155 is it the intention to transfer all the Metronet users onto the PlusNet system once a second spare segment is lit or wait until all three segments are lit.
Following on from that idea, and given that PlusNet hope to keep expanding their customer base, has an order been placed for another central pipe as the delivery is quite long.
csogilvie
Grafter

Given the lead time for a 622 Pipeis something like 8 weeks from memory, I find that hard to believe. Segments is abotu 5 days.
benoh
Grafter

I belive new pipes are continually ordered (and then cancelled), means it would be 7 days to get one installed, by simply not cancelling the order ;-)

Ben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I bow to your greater knowledge but I seem to remember several months (6?) being quoted previously but that may well have changed or my memory is just faulty. :lol:
N/A

It does seem somewhat laughable if they intend using the unlit segments of the 622s to transfer over Metronet customers. Does this mean that Plusnet customers are not going to see the benefit of any increased capacity? Is the one 155 segment lit in August really all that is necessary to cope with the exponential growth in customers since last Feb? It concerns me that this is going to be at the expense of quality of service.
N/A

I belive new pipes are continually ordered (and then cancelled), means it would be 7 days to get one installed, by simply not cancelling the order ;-)

Ben

Thats the way it is done as told to us at the customer forum. Once 1 segment has been lit the purchaser is also obligated to light all remaining segments of that 622 pipe within 12 months of the first one being lit.
This is how I have understood it anyhow.
N/A

Once 1 segment has been lit the purchaser is also obligated to light all remaining segments of that 622 pipe within 12 months of the first one being lit.

No wonder they are pressured to up the number of punters..
Alecto
Grafter

The announcement does say quite clearly

As part of our capacity based network growth strategy this upgrade is not necessary,

This can only mean that Pn are quite happy with the ratio of bandwidth to customers that was in operation before the lit the pipe.

So no, Plusnet will not be making any more capacity available for existing customers. Any new capacity will have to have a suitable number of new customers to fill it.
N/A

most but not all the customers are going to be transfered.

Although metronet have 3x155s, there not all required, They have multiple redunant so there pipes werent near capacity so 1 new 155 should cope. IF metronet have alot of heavy user though, there could be problems.

Appartnly plusnet were 1gigabit over capacity last year, before this year of mess. so thats why there hasnt seemed to be any growth in central capacity this year as would be expected.

Theres another 2 segments coming, i believe before august this year. most likely sooner. there has 2 be if its 12months
ceridwen
Grafter

IF metronet have alot of heavy user though, there could be problems.

Don't forget that the typical metronet package allows 96+GB of downloading (any time, any protocol) before any traffic shaping (as opposed to PN's packages with 100Gb limit but, but with 30GB peak time limit, 20Gb usenet limit, 15 gb p2p limit etc. before traffic shaping applied).

Matthew
N/A

but with 30GB peak time limit, 20Gb usenet limit, 15 gb p2p limit etc. before traffic shaping applied
Matthew

I thought it was a straight 20GB limit for all 3 protocols rolled into one? so USENET/FTP and P2P all had a shared 20GB peak time allowance?
ceridwen
Grafter

It has changed so much over the last month, that I've lost track...

Matthew
JonathanW
Grafter

I thought it was a straight 20GB limit for all 3 protocols rolled into one? so USENET/FTP and P2P all had a shared 20GB peak time allowance?

It is, I think the poster above is over stating matters in order to try and emphasise the point.
N/A

I thought it was a straight 20GB limit for all 3 protocols rolled into one?

Yep!
The 15Gb usenet allowance was scrapped. The replacement was the 20Gb for FTP/P2P/Usenet, as in you can use UPTO 20Gb of any combination of the 3 protocols on-peak where peak is 8am - midnight.

The 30Gb peak time limit is also in effect, however the peak time for that is 4pm-midnight.

The 20Gb limit and levels do not current show on the VMU whereas the 30Gb figures do.

edit:- Which thanks to my slow slow typing is what jwhiting said in the meantime. Ho hum....