cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you want to know more about the new management hardware

N/A

I found this, which may give some idea of where Plus is planning to gto.

It sounds that what we used to be accustomed to could get expensive...premium services, 25 different packages based on what bandwidth and type of service is used.

http://www.ellacoya.com/news/pdf/2006/EllacoyaPlusNetPortal.pdf
9 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

Interesting article. Clearly the Ellacoyas can deliver a level of flexibility which will enable PlusNet to satisfy all of their customers - we all knew that - but what makes me slightly uneasy is the possibility of being a guinea-pig for ever more complex packages.

Let's face it, it was miserable enough for several months while the beasts were being bedded in late last year. If PlusNet were to provide a simple package allowing me to vary various elments such as speed and capacity, I'd be delighted. Why do I feel slightly fearful?

Ah well, let's see what they pull out of the hat at the next round of product announcements.
ferryman
Grafter

Sounds good. I'll take the "MaxDSL that actually works" option please? Sorry sir, that option is not currently available. Choice is a marvellous thing. :roll:
N/A

Maybe there'll be a plan to put a telephone exchange in your garden for a price?

Max seems to take far longer than 10 days to settle down, and if you are too far from your exchange or have too much noise or attenuation you could be worse off. It's pushing the lines to the limit with what is basically an old technology, originally designed to allow people who were too far for conventional ADSL, which is why it is rate-adaptive.

I'm not that far from the exchange as the crow flies and I was told once that I had 2.8 km of line.. 1 km more than the crow distance. But the line quality is very bad and it's not my line that's the problem, it's BT's line.

So I've been complaining about only getting a stable connection of 2 to 2.5 mb/s when BT says I should get at least 3. Before I was maxed I couldn't quite manage 1 mb/s so I shouldn't complain.

I was mased on 2nd May, turned my line on first on 9th May, all unaware of what had happened, but it's only been 6 days since my last disconnection. My SNR isn't going quite as low and my attenuation has risen a little.. don't know why unless it was me disconnecting telephones, fitting new filters and trying a shielded cable.

The thing I hate the most though is the 10 gb peak limit. I'd probably never exceed it (if the elleacoya was reporting correctly) but that psychological barrier is there and it's stopping me using my internet as I always have done.

What worries me, as we seem to be getting less bandwidth and less service for the same or more money than other ISPs in the same bracket, is how much will we be charged for this p[remium content? AOL has had premium content for years and I never went near it.
vic_newey
Grafter

I can't open that file for some reason ,It says Adobe reader can't open PDF file , how can i get to read it ?

N/A

I used the full Adobe, not just the reader. But the reader should be faster. You do have to leave the web page open, I haven't tried saving it to disk first then trying to open it.

Took some time, but eventually it was loaded from the web site into Adobe.

Only other way I can think is to copy the text and put it on my web site.

I am tempted to start creating some windows forms to link to just for this forum, that picture I like. Smiley
octafish
Grafter

I want a new BT line laid for over 1.7 km!

And I think you should have it!. Tell BT at once!

S
N/A

Quote:
I want a new BT line laid for over 1.7 km!

And I think you should have it!. Tell BT at once!

Thank you.

If I leave that in my sig for long enough, maybe BT will upgrade their rotten copper and take a more direct route from the exchange. I think my line goes the long way round, and I've been complaining about it since it knocked my 56 kb/s down to 33. One new section and a new number improved matters slightly, but the4 new section was only laid because the old part got too much water damage.
vic_newey
Grafter

I used the full Adobe, not just the reader. But the reader should be faster. You do have to leave the web page open, I haven't tried saving it to disk first then trying to open it.

I am tempted to start creating some windows forms to link to just for this forum, that picture I like. Smiley

here is linky to error message generator

http://atom.smasher.org/error/
Tongue
N/A

Thanks vicnewey.

Now I need to find somewhere to put my new message... Evil