cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you don't first suceed .....

N/A

If you don't first suceed .....

I do appreciate the answer John Essex gave me to my earlier posting, but I was hoping that some from within CS could shed some light too.. Was John right, therefore no-one else posted ?

(My question copied & pasted from previoud thread)

I was wondering where the information for Total Search Strings comes from (within the online WebStats) ?

So far this month my website stats show 16 (now 20) different search strings, which is more than twice the normal amount for a whole month. I'm not complaining, just curious where this info comes from. Are they the results from search engines ? ie, that someone has typed in a question and my site appeared in the results ?

I use the services of a company called Atmoz within my site, so people can search for info while browsing my site etc. I know the results shown on the portal comes from somewhere else..

Does anyone have any thoughts ?

Regards,

Dave W
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: If you don't first suceed .....

> I was wondering where the information for Total Search Strings comes from (within the online WebStats) ?
>Are they the results from search engines ? ie, that someone has typed in a question and my site appeared in the results ?

Good Morning,

Yes this is exactly what they are. The referrer information appears in the HTTP headers when you click on a link from a search engine.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland          Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support    for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

RE: If you don't first suceed .....

Thanks for that Duncan.

I only asked as some of the search strings that appear within my stats are quite general.
I can understand that some of them are very specific and therefore display my site within the search engine results, but others are very vague i.e. Bristol, which has nothing to do with my site (no offence made)

O'well, I'm just happy it's keeping the visitors coming.

Dave W
Community Veteran

RE: If you don't first suceed .....dont give up

> Thanks for that Duncan.
>
> I only asked as some of the search strings that appear within my stats are quite general.
> I can understand that some of them are very specific and therefore display my site within the search engine results, but others are very vague i.e. Bristol, which has nothing to do with my site (no offence made)
>
> O'well, I'm just happy it's keeping the visitors coming.
>
> Dave W

I get the same Dave.
But there is usually a reason. For example one search string was "Uncle Joes Mint Balls" !!!
What on earth has that got to do with Model Railways??
What I did then was to get windows to do a search of the Mirror Image of my hmrg site which is stored on my hard drive here.
It found it it in a reference that I made about a departed colleage on the club news news page !!

So you may find that the word or words are somewere on your site.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk