cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If that's you throttling my usenet download speed...

N/A

If that's you throttling my usenet download speed to 20KB/s - for no more than 2GB a month by the way - maybe I'll write some scripts to repeatedly download linux ISOs for no reason with the rest of my 2Mb/s bandwidth.

I'll wait and see, but tonight's transfer rate has been *very* suspicious.

I want a fast service not a 100s of GB service. Cater for me.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

News to help you and many others should be announced tomorrow.
crimsone
Grafter

sounds good - I hope it's just like it sounds Smiley

If not I guess I'm just going to have to seriously hassle CS
N/A

Re: If that's you throttling my usenet download speed...

If that's you throttling my usenet download speed to 20KB/s - for no more than 2GB a month by the way - maybe I'll write some scripts to repeatedly download linux ISOs for no reason with the rest of my 2Mb/s bandwidth.

I'll wait and see, but tonight's transfer rate has been *very* suspicious.

I want a fast service not a 100s of GB service. Cater for me.

yes its them

and as per usual a little taste bud tiggler in the posts tonight

"wait till tomorrow, all will be revealed" :roll:
N/A

definitely them

at exactly midnight Newsleacher jumped from 80 KB\s to 234KB\s

i wonder why ?
channel
Grafter

On page 2 of this thread Dave T confirmed:

Usenet traffic fits within the bronze traffic queue, now while the amount and pattern of usenet traffic means that traffic shaping should have little or no effect on usenet it is still possible.

Bronze traffic is the same (low) priority as P2P, whereas previously PN had claimed that Usenet was not subject to shaping. Check out my post on the third page of the same thread for an example.
Community Veteran

The bronze shaping (which includes usenet & P2P) depends on which product you are on. For BB+, the P2P and usenet traffic is shaped heavily, on premier, the shaping is supposed to be much less than BB+ users have.

P2P & binary usenet have always been grouped together but the shaping applied differs between the products.

BUT... if network capacity is being reached then bronze traffic is going to be affected the most so you will get much slower bronze traffic during network capacity situations as silver and gold are given priority.
channel
Grafter

Peter,

We are all well aware of what the differences are meant to be between BB+ and Premier in respect of usenet. That's not the issue.

P2P & binary usenet have always been grouped together but the shaping differs between the products.

They may have always been grouped together, but that is NOT what we were told here.

As recently as 20 August, Ben Brown was contrasting the clean, unthrottled nature of Usenet with the throttled and shaped P2P feeds, telling us that on Premier, the E-colis were not doing anything special with usenet traffic:

Usenet speeds shouldn't be affected by the port you use, on Premier the ellacoyas don't do anything special with usenet traffic, although if they did it could identify usenet traffic even if it was on a different port.

Post made in this thread.

Peter: Given that you have obviously known that Usenet and P2P were always grouped together as being the same (low) priority, could you highlight where this information came from?
N/A

I hope theres not another change to the T&C comming up, I am sick and tired of PN always moving the goal posts. You sign a contract for one thing and then they sneak in changes, bad PN
mlavende
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

The bronze shaping (which includes usenet & P2P) depends on which product you are on. For BB+, the P2P and usenet traffic is shaped heavily, on premier, the shaping is supposed to be much less than BB+ users have.

P2P & binary usenet have always been grouped together but the shaping applied differs between the products.

BUT... if network capacity is being reached then bronze traffic is going to be affected the most so you will get much slower bronze traffic during network capacity situations as silver and gold are given priority.

Peter I'm on premier and notice massive slowdown of usenet. Please can you explain it ? I'm getting fed up. Sometimes it's no better than my old 56k modem. this is not what I pay £21.99 a month for.
Community Veteran

You have 3 levels of shaping: Gold (high priority traffic HTTP & email), Silver (general traffic incuding gaming) and Bronze (low priority traffic - P2P & usenet).

When there is ample central pipe bandwidth available, there is room for all the 3 levels so very little slowdowns occur. There is still some shaping done but the affect is minimal. This generally occurs during the quiet or off-peak periods overnight.

The problem is when the central pipe capacity is full - i.e. there is not enough bandwidth available for all the traffic from all the users. This is the situation PN find themselves in during the busy hours and primarily during the day and evening. In this situation the shaping is much higher with Gold traffic getting a majority share of what bandwidth is available, Silver, a smaller amount and Bronze a much smaller amount.

So when the central pipes have reached capacity, heavy shaping is occuring and all the P2P & usenet traffic must go through a much smaller amount of bandwidth during the busy periods than during the non-busy periods so they are all slowed down.
N/A

This is what I don't understand. Has Plusnet ever reached full capacity? It seems unlikely since traffic shaping has just come into effect and people were reaching full download speeds before that. That being the case, it feels like bandwidth is being leeched off the customer so in effect the customers are losing out and providing bandwidth for everyone else?!

For Plusnet to all of a sudden reduce my download speed by up to 190kb/s leaving me with 40kb/s is simply outrageous and I'd like to know where these extra kbs are going?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont use ALL of the preceding post as a quote.
Community Veteran

Not full capacity as in no more room in the pipes, but very close you wouldn't want it to reach full capacity.

As for your 40k speeds have you been put on the wrong profile?
N/A

The problem is when the central pipe capacity is full - i.e. there is not enough bandwidth available for all the traffic from all the users. This is the situation PN find themselves in during the busy hours and primarily during the day and evening.

I would call these the standard times that people want to use the internet, if PN cant cope with this then surely they is something wrong? - an ISP that cant handle the traffic during normal useage hours - whats the point, should we all for go sleep and only use our connections in early hours of the morning.... this service has gone to the dogs it started out as a great service and I <shudder> even recommended it to friends and family, I wish to god I had not because I am fed up with them saying 'Why is my connection so sloow'

I for one will be looking to leave if this does not pick up, I have been with them for about 2 years now so hope there is going to be no leaving fee - cause they wont get it!.
N/A

Not full capacity as in no more room in the pipes, but very close you wouldn't want it to reach full capacity.

As for your 40k speeds have you been put on the wrong profile?

I don't know anything about what profile i'm on, it's too late now anyway I suppose. I've got my mac key

It's crazy, I was so happy with Plusnet for almost a year and since the last week or so I've really begun to hate this service I'm getting. Up until last week I was getting speeds of 230+kb/s, now I get a pathetic drizzle. I download about 100gig a month and I'm wondering if Plusnet have put some secret cap during peak time on my account to get rid of me?