cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If it wasn't for MAC codes...

N/A

...ISP's would have to do a better job of keeping customers happy. It's the prospect of being without internet access after cancelling an account and waiting for MAC codes that keeps many of us here and they know this.

I'm so fed up with not being able to play my online game anymore (TOCA Race Driver 3), customer support for closing my ticket # 20265469 (unresolved) and having to raise a new ticket # 20329687 (for the same problem) that I really do want to leave now. But this will mean being without internet access for a few weeks I'm sure.

It's only a matter of time "I hope" before some legal policy is presented to all ISP's preventing them from delaying a customer move to another ISP. When that time comes watch out Plusnet.

Yes, I'm angry...in fact I'm very angry.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Ive never played TOCA online but lets see if I can suggest a few things that are generically involved with online gaming.

1) Are you sure that isn't just conjestion at your exchange?

2) If you are playing DirectIP, I think they are classed as peer2peer which is throttled due to over abuse, or something, and will cause high pings.

3) If you are playing through a server have you tried using a different server?

4a) When did your problem start?
b) What ping did you used to have, and what is it now?

5) Have you placed anything in the house that may interfere with the line like a new phone, fax etc?

6) Is interleaving applyed to your account? You can check in your router settings.
hitachi
Grafter

Unless you are on llu then a mac code means a seamless migration with no downtime,much better than the previous method.
Community Veteran

Hopefully this will be dealt with as it seems a variant on problems described in http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=47641

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

It's the prospect of being without internet access after cancelling an account and waiting for MAC codes that keeps many of us here and they know this.

Which is exactly what MACs *dont* cause.
A MAC is there to give you a seamless or almost-seamless (hour or so downtime) between two ISPs.

You basically get your MAC. Tell your new ISP the number, they tell you when you will be swapped over and you use the current connection until it goes off at which point you should be able to connect to the other one.

If MACs didn't exist then you would have to cancel your account, get your ISP to release your line, contact your new ISP, arrange a contract, wait for activation and get the details before you could connect.
N/A

Oh that's what it's for...

I thought it was so ISPs could hold your line ransom while changing your service any which way they please. Tongue

It's a nice idea but it makes it far too easy for ISPs to squeeze that last bit of money out of you.
N/A

Well if MACs didn't exist then the only option would be to cancel and re-activate the line.

Which.... you can still do if you want to.
N/A

Ive never played TOCA online but lets see if I can suggest a few things that are generically involved with online gaming.

All they need to do is add some UDP ports (which hey know about) to their gaming profile.

Anyway, I just got a reply from Dave Tomlinson telling me that it is work in progress and will be done.