cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idle Timeouts?

N/A

Idle Timeouts?

Just had an email regarding Acceptable Use Policy and idle time-outs. I pay £22.99 including £1.00 for an a domain name so i assume i am on one of the ones that are going to be change.

I am a little concerned over the idle use introduction. I play Everquest and sometimes leave my charcater on trader mode which means there is no activity, just me standing the bazaar. Will I now be disconected after 30 mins. If so, it looks like i am going to have to look elsewhere for a broadband connection.
14 REPLIES
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

At £21.99 can I assume you are on premier?

If I have read the email correctly it states

Introduction of 'idle time-outs' for Broadband Plus and ADSL Home Surf customers.

I believe that to mean that Premier customers are not effected.
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

Um... sooo... if I'm on Plus... and I want to be able to remotely connect to my always-on machine on this account at any time... does this mean I will need to set up a cron job to download something every 20 mins? *SIGH*
Community Veteran

Idle Timeouts?

Or as someone has posted on another thread get your e mail client to check for mail every few minutes.
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

I am on "Home Lite". Does this affect me? If so Im off.
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

What an entirely pointless restriction.
NigelWood
Grafter

Idle Timeouts?

What an entirely pointless restriction.

doesn't look like it's meant as a restriction:

From the FAQ's (which are due to be posted tomorrow):

"There are a limited number of connections we can make to each segment of capacity. By applying idle time outs, we can ensure available capacity is utilised and not sat idle. The more efficiently our network is working, the more it helps us keep prices down and give great value and high quality services to our customers."
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

I am on "Home Lite". Does this affect me? If so Im off.

HuhHuh
Community Veteran

Idle Timeouts?

No.
Lite accounts are not affected. Only the Home Surf accounts and the BB Plus ones.

Chris
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

doesn't look like it's meant as a restriction:
<stuff that hasn't been posted yet>

Oh I see. That does sorta make sense. Although it still smells of PN running out of network capacity Tongue
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Idle Timeouts?

More likely they have/will soon hit the session limit on the BT Centrals and that is expensive to sort out and not quick either
itchyfeet
Grafter

Idle Timeouts?

I haven't received this e-mail yet. Do we know after what period of time the idle timeouts will happen?
N/A

Idle Timeouts?

30 minutes.
Neil_A
Grafter

Idle Timeouts?

Hi there,

All customers will be recieving an email over the next couple of days. We aren't actually implementing idle time-outs for a while yet, and when we do it will ONLY be for Plus and Home Surf customer.

The website has just been updated with the new T&C and there will be an updated article which explains our approach to network management going live in the next hour or so.

Thanks
itchyfeet
Grafter

Idle Timeouts?

Isn't this madness? This is what used to happen in the bad old days of dial-up - and I remember having to run programs to make artificial activity to keep the connection going? I guess probably easiest way to keep the connection active is to download a worm - anyone know where I can get one? :shock:

How will this effect routers with auto-reconnect? Will they be unaffected?