cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying Make and Model of Modem Supplied by Plus Net

N/A

I upgraded my Plus Net account to broadband in August 2002 and, as part of the package, was sold a USB ADSL modem.

This modem is pretty small - about the length of a Logitech mouse. It's a
flat, grey rectangle with curved corners. The top is decorated with a couple of sweeping engraved lines at either side. "USB" is printed on in chunky grey letters above an oval in the same shade that has "ADSL Modem" in a lighter hue. Beneath this textual announcement are four red leds labelled L "RDY", "LNK", "RXD" and "HS".

If necessary I can upload an image of it somewhere as I need to identify the brand and model so that I can seek advice getting it to work properly with my current main computer.

The problem I am having with it is that if I try to download a file - whether it be streaming media or an independent entity - data acquisition will stall at any point after 2MBs and almost always before 10MB.

As the modem worked properly with my dead Windows 98 machine and is also fully functional with my Toshiba Windows XP Home Edition laptop (whether the modem is plugged directly into the portable PC *or* connected to the main desktop machine and relayed wirelessly), Plus have told me that the problem must lie with my hardware or operating system and that I should seek help with the creators of those things.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 and I would enthusiatically pursue the assemblers of this machine (created in July this 2003) and the manufacturers of the components IF Plus or anyone else could furnish me with some details of what the modem IS.

I have asked repeatedly in "Contact us" *and* supplied a photograph and serial number but, as yet, have not been illuminated.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Is in any one of these?
N/A

Thanks for replying but no it isn't a Binatone. It looks like those were only introduced THIS summer and I was sent my device in 2002.
Community Veteran

Did you check the archive links for the previous models supplied?

[append]
Hmm.. no pictures so maybe the install screens will give you a clue.

Does device manager on XP give you any info on the make/model/version etc?
Did it come with any software on CD/floppy and does that say anything?
[/append]
N/A

Jumped the gun there - 'cause I'm getting so frazzled. It looks like it's probably the Dynamode.
Ianwild
Grafter

I don't remeber this one off the top of my head. Tomorrow, especially if you remind me (iwild@plus.net is always good), I can match up your order number with the suppliers system and get the lowdown on this.

Good question!

Cheers,

Ian
N/A

Hi Gang !

I went to the Dynamode web site and noticed that their illustrations show modems with the same curved etchings on the top - so I think Dynamode MUST be the one - although I suspect MY model has been phased out.

I've e.mailed them my serial number so there should be no reason why they can't match it up...... I hope.

Of course then I've got to start hammering on at them to try and find out why it's coughing.....
N/A

I've still not heard back from Dynamode.

Does anybody know what the model was of the Dynamode modem that Plus were supplying last summer ?

I have asked at least three times in Contact Us.
csogilvie
Grafter

Dynamode A360 I think it was.

Edit: Oh no, that came after August 2002 Smiley
Ianwild
Grafter

Does it look anything like this:

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

You could have said what it was as well Ian :roll:
N/A

Yep - the logo is different and plainer on mine though - so I don't know if that means my unit is older and may require different drivers but YES it is essentially excatly the same shape and look.

I sent a photo to Contact Us yesterday.
Ianwild
Grafter

That then, is an AR11 as we knew it. I believe it may have been a bespoke model, shipped by Ebuyer when we were using them as our supplier. I actually have one of these myself in a draw at home, but it was the "Grey" description that confused - I thought mine was cream coloured...

I found the one in the picture here:

http://www.aceex.com.tw/test1/product/au112.htm

Regards,
N/A

O.K.

So I've been mailing Dynamode to try to get help with it.

Is this appropriate ?

Who do YOU suggest I should contact to get it working properly ?

Should I approach the people at the site you've just shown me or is it ebuyer with the technical expertise ?

All I can find in the FAQ at aceex.com is :

"Which variations of xDSL technology is Qwest offering?And Who is responsible for the IP addressing?
Qwest offer ADSL service.The subscriber's chosen ISP is responsible.That means our ADSL's are compatibale
with Qwest DSL but you still need note that it's ADSL over POTS or ADSL over ISDN. Then we can ship you the
right version as you need."
N/A