cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify referrer

N/A

Identify referrer

I'd like to be able to have some way of identifying which referral came from where. Now I know and understand that the DPA prevents PN from giving me personally identifying information. However, I see two possible solutions to this:

• During the referral part of the sign-up process, ask the user if they are happy for their name and/or userid to be passed on
  • Allow someone to apply a free-text tag to any and each of their referrals. So for example, I could tag one as "Mark", another as "Jane", and so on

Oh yes, please could we have a "date initially referred" field, too, please?

Thanks,
Chris
7 REPLIES
N/A

Identify referrer

Would defo agree with this, there is another post here relating to the referrals system, with a couple of suggestions for improvements.
I think this idea ties in nicely with the other suggestions.
N/A

Identify referrer

Hi there,

This or very similar was raised as idea 2193 in July 2003 but never implemented.

The implications of the DPA were discussed at length and the views of that body sought.

As i say it was raised but we are still waiting.
N/A

Identify referrer

Surely allowing free text 'tags' to be attached would not be an infringement of DPA?
Obviously it is fairly wide ranging in its ramifications, but I wouldn't have thought it to be that draconian?
N/A

Identify referrer

At or about that time Ian Wild did indicate in a post on Ag that we could expect some changes to the referral system making the identification of referrals easier. unfortunately it didnt appear. Way down the development list.

I think there was a general acceptance of how to provide some of what we wanted without breaching the DPA. Wether the idea can be revisited by the Comms team remains to be seen.
N/A

Identify referrer

The DPA limits the disclosure of personally identifiable information without consent of the person to whom that information relates.

If during the sign-up, someone agrees to have their userid, name, or whatever, passed along as part of the referral information, then that is acceptable. The DPA is satisfied because the owner of the personal information has agreed for it to be disclosed to someone else.

If PN provides a "free text" field to each of the list of referral entries, and allows me to populate that field, then there is no disclosure by PN, so the DPA is satisfied.

There is no limitation within the constraints of the Data Protection Act to either of these situations.

Remember also, that the DPA relates only to personally identifiable information, so under certain circumstances Businesses are exempt from protection. However, that's probably a side issue to the main requirement.

Chris
N/A

Identify referrer

Agreed. That was all identified and discussed at the time. The idea was raised but never implemented.

Wether it will be any different this time I have no idea. Judging by what is on the develpoment stack at the minute, Business products, Newsgroups, CCGI etc, I reckon we will have another long wait.
N/A

Identifying / thanking a referral

A pennyworth...
It is in the best interests of the ISP to identify to the referror an identity of the referred - this should Only be by a sign-up name, then only with the given (not implied) consent of the referred.

1 I would like to thank him/her/them for siging up via referral
2 I can keep track of referral discounts deducted from my monthly fee
3 +Net is encouraging me to refer more clients

Currently this is not the case.
FYI: I have been in, and dealing with, the Data Protection Act since it being placed on the Statute Book; still Am -Smiley but it can work.