cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea for new cgi platform

N/A

As the new CGI platofrm is currently being implemented what would the chances be of PN getting the server configured to allow users access to the error logs for their sites?

I find the error log a rather useful source of help to find out why things get FUBAR'd occasionally....
7 REPLIES
N/A

You can actualy access the error log right now on the current platform, you just need to tail the page as soon as the error occurs, and you should have the output needed.

On the new platform, it is very liklely it will be harder to provide.

The new platform will see CGI & Shell server totaly independant, with different configurations. This would prevent shell access to tail the error log.

However, I don't see why a small PHP script couldn't be used to read the end of the output from the error log, and display it in a web-page.

This would only cause a problem with .htaccess config issues, which can be cured with a quick rename of the file, prior to grabbing the error log.

As for introducing new features into the CGI server, this is kind of late. An RFC (request for comments) was put out some time ago now. At some point, features had to stop being taken, so they could be implimented.

It's my understanding that the new CGI platform is all but live now.
N/A

Thanks Phillip.

I've only recently found the time to take a keen interest in whats going on (mostly since the CGI server had its hiccups recently)...
csogilvie
Grafter

However, I don't see why a small PHP script couldn't be used to read the end of the output from the error log, and display it in a web-page.

File permissions on the error log would be the only thing I can think of...
N/A

As each virtual host can have its own error log file then it should be possible to set the permissions so that the file can owned by the webserver process, with the group being set to the user (this means each user will need a group creating with the same name) with the sticky bit turned on. Run logrotate or similiar as the web user and rotation will work...
N/A

PlusNet do not however use normal virutal hosting functions of apache. I aint even sure it is possible with the huge amount of customers that use the service.

Instead, the service is provided over a mod_rewrite based engine.
N/A

Nod. Just realised the other flaw.... if we all had custom logs I'd dred to think of the number of file descriptors required for the logs etc...

I'd still like some way of getting to the logs but in the mean time I'll use my spare linux box as a test bed...
N/A

In apache, the virtual host directive could place you access and error logs in a private file outside htdocs.

** EDIT: Just read the above post. Sorry