cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idea.. Batch FTP or similar

N/A

Just an idea but..

Seeing as we are all getting a little more bandwidth sensitive these days would it be an idea to re-introduce a system similar to the old batch ftp service (which has been broken for ages now..)

That way +net could download and store large files during off peak times and then one (or more..) users could download them from the +net servers during peak time if required and save some of their usage allowance.

Just an idea, thoughts anyone?

Matt
4 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Its a nice idea, but unfortunately this wouldn't actually work. As the bandwidth costs come mostly from data being passed over the BT centrals which sit between the customer and anything else on the internet, which means that even downloading from our servers counts towards your utilisation.
N/A

I can't see PlusNet doing this as it would take too much time and effort to develop and ensure it was utlised more than the old system was. It seems as if everything is 'low on the list of prioritiesat the moment.
N/A

Ibandwidth costs come mostly from data being passed over the BT centrals which sit between the customer and anything else on the internet

Ahh, thats interesting, I didnt realise that. Was under the impression that internal transfer was "free" as it were.

Oh well, back to the old drawing board as they say.. Thanks for the reply though.
JonathanW
Grafter

Ahh, thats interesting, I didnt realise that. Was under the impression that internal transfer was "free" as it were.

Unfortunately not, if the 'internal' bandwidth didn't have to cross the centrals then we would certainly implement something like this in order to reduce the overheads and improve things for everyone.