cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Idea 3035] Option to disable virus alerts - Accepted

N/A

Hi

I would like to suggest that plusnet implement an option to allow you to turn off virus alerts on email accounts.

I am getting around 30 per hour, it is worse than spam.

Whilst I do want the virus protection I dont want all the notifications and would like an option to turn it off.

Cheers Chris
27 REPLIES
Xenolith
Grafter

I agree completely. The current PN system, whilst very good, is essentially a mechanism for converting infected/unwanted emails into uninfected/unwanted emails. Good, but I for one just don't want them. My client has rules to delete them when they come down but it still wastes time and is no help if I use a webmail interface.

I and others have raised this before but it seems to get nowhere. I've just checked the list of accepted/rejected suggestions and there's nothing there. This facility is common, evern standard with other ISPs and it would be a great improvement.
N/A

If even half of Plusnet customers receive these, without wanting them, just by getting rid of them at source could potentially reap massive rewards in terms of saved overheads across the network.

Less processing, less storage, less bandwidth used etc etc
csogilvie
Grafter

Depends how much processing is needed to work out who wants the emails and who doesn't though as to whether it saves time or not.
N/A

Should be easy, a tickbox, which disables the rest of the script from running.
Boolean logic is a great timesaver
csogilvie
Grafter

Where do you store that?
How does the virus scanner check it?
Xenolith
Grafter

Well, speaking as a software developer of 20 years standing, the last 5 or so in internet-based systems, I'd say it isn't going to be that hard. Where do you store our other settings (eg. whether we have spam filtering/virus filtering on)? A database right? Just store it there.

Still getting up to 50 junk emails from PN per day. It is seriously annoying. PlusNet - this is by far the most annoying thing about your system just now (apart from dropped connections. Don't get me started). Please don't underestimate its importance.
N/A

Even if it does get approved as a new idea, it will still take them several years to implement it just like all the other ideas that have been around for a couple of years now with no action taken.

Cheers Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

Well, speaking as a software developer of 20 years standing, the last 5 or so in internet-based systems, I'd say it isn't going to be that hard. Where do you store our other settings (eg. whether we have spam filtering/virus filtering on)? A database right? Just store it there.

The last time this was discussed, and rejected it was exactly because of this, I believe. For every email that arrives, you need to perform a database lookup to check the setting. Now, I (personally) refute that, but that was the response IIRC.
Xenolith
Grafter

Well, OK, I don't know the details of your systems - but looking up a single flag as opposed to all the overhead of determining whether an email is infected with a virus and/or whether it is Spam - sorry, there's just no comparison in terms of processor or IO resources.
csogilvie
Grafter

I don't know the details either - I'm only making educated guesses based on the previous dicussion on this. However, even if customer X said they don't want emails saying its a virus - they still need to look to see that when its benen virus scanned.

(And yes, I'd like to get rid of them too!)
Xenolith
Grafter

OK, fine, so, um - can this suggestion be progressed or does it just vanish again? I've had a quick check around other ISPs that I know - it seems to be a very common feature to allow alert emails to be switched off or redirected.
Community Veteran

Well Dave should be looking through this forum over this weekend so touchwood!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

This has already been raised as Idea 3035, which was accepted.
Xenolith
Grafter

Really? Well that's great news - but I did check before I posted that it wasn't already accepted. I read the sticky posting up the top there and had a look at the accepted list. No sign of anything like this. Am I missing something. Oh wait, the list was last updated 11 Feb 2004!

Guys, I have a suggestion about your suggestion system ...