cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Idea 2915] Static IP Address

N/A

It would be nice that when you change from a dialup to ADSL, and you get sent the information, that when you chnage the static IP address you tell the customer, rather than my enginner spending hours trying to find out what it would not work. Just one of the problems we had
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

56k doesnt have a static IP unless you request it, so when you upgrade to DSL its more than likely yes your IP will change.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Dialup uses a pool of dynamic IPs so the IP address assigned when you connect will normally be different each time. With ADSL you have your own assigned IP address which never changes.

If you are using an ADSL router then the normal default is to automatically get the assigned plusnet IP address. If you using a USB modem then the PCs new IP address would be the one assigned by PlusNet.

In both cases the assignment is automatic so I'm not sure why you had any problems when the IP address changed?
N/A

Change over

Yes, but as stated we had a static IP address on dial up, we have to have to for our email server, when we changed so did the static IP address, we did not know about so we could not get on
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Very sensible idea, I don't see why we can't do this, either by putting something in the registration process or the welcome email saying this.

Raised as Idea 2915.
N/A

At Last

This is all I wanted, it has taken so long to get through to any one, and because of it cost us a lot of money in enginners time

Tony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Idea accepted.
N/A

I would have thought the engineer should have been able to establish this was the cause quite quickly. ;-)