cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[ Idea 2235 ] - Delete e-mail address

N/A

Set up an e-mail address to which e-mail can be forwarded and automatically deleted. This was we can set up aliases for the addresses that spam robots commonly use (webmaster, info, admin etc.) and have them redirect to this 'delete' account. The alternative is that I create these aliases anyway and just let the e-mail sit there, wasting diskspace.

tom
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes, this would be a good idea.

Thomas
N/A

PlusNet have allready advised that you can setup an account and let it just sit there. There is no issue of diskspace at this time.

There are even rules in most e-mail software that will let you delete it without it ever reachign yoru computer. OE and The Bat! for one.
N/A

I thought the terms and conditions stated 25Mb?
Community Veteran

That'll be just for your website. There's no limit on the amount of space taken by e-mails etc.

Thomas
N/A

From the plusNet e-mail acceptable use policy:
http://portal.plus.net/info2/legal/legal_stuff-aup-useofemail.html

"If you exceed a total of 25Mb of unread email for more than a 30 day period it will be deleted."

tom
Community Veteran

Interesting. Any PlusNet Comms Team member around to comment on this?

Thomas
N/A

If you exceed a total of 25Mb of unread email for more than a 30 day period it will be deleted.

Doesn't this meet your requirements? The only (arguable) downside is that it will sit there for 30 days first, though this will give you chance to peruse the messages on the off-chance a wanted mail got filtered.

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

if it applies to 'unread' e-mail only, then yes. Otherwise, how would they know what to delete? I use IMAP and keep a fair chunk of my e-mail on the server.

tom
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

With regards to the idea raised first, this has already been raised by a member of staff on idea 2235 as a possible improvement to the SPAM filtering product or the mailcore.

The 25Mb limit is simply there so that we can remove mail if it is causing a problem. I would always advise customers to regularly check mail in unused mailboxes using something like magic mail - but as a rule we only delete mail if there is a lot of mail in there. Even when we do this we archive the mail for a month so that we can retreive it if necessary.

Regards,
N/A

cool,

should be fairly easy for you guys to set up one plus.net e-mail address that can be used by all members to redirect unwanted mail to. If not automated, you can delete the contents of this mailbox at your leisure.

Right now I've created a mailbox called 'delete' to which I forward mail for all aliases / mailboxes I know are used by spammers. In four days I've collected roughly 200 e-mails in it.

tom
N/A

I have also just noted that this is allready in the ideas list, under idea number 2103

2235 sounds a little different to what was asked in this thread, more at being a way to reclaim spam from a seperate mailbox incase the filters capture somthing they are not supposed to.

I will twin this thread with both ideas.