cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Idea 2047] Domain Level E-Mail Routing

N/A

Can we start a campaign to convince PlusNet to implement domain level e-mail routing? Currently, if you have more than one domain hosted by PlusNet, the e-mail for say 'info@' for EACH of these domains can only be diverted to a single mailbox on your PlusNet account. This is not useful functionality.

Suggest something like:

*@mydomain.co.uk -> username (i.e. This is the current default action.)

info -> info.mydomain.co.uk
feedback -> feedback.mydomain.co.uk
etc

i.e. The user puts whatever they want on the left hand side, before the @, PlusNet automatically appends the '.domain.tld' section.

Pop over to mailboxes and set up these new mailboxes. i.e. There is no change in functionality here.

The above would allow better e-mail routing for those who look after multiple domains.
12 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Good idea!

I will raise it (Along with loads of the other here) when I'm back on shift tonight.

Quite a few ideas have also been accepted by the management, so I will update those threads too.

Regards,
N/A

Thank you Ian..

A little more enthusiastic response than I received when I submitted this idea via support, though they were very prompt and polite about it, so no real gripe. Just thought I would try my luck here! Hope you have more luck than I though.

Another tweak on the above idea would be to allow you to define the 'default' action.. over on UK2.NET, my default for any e-mail address that I haven't specifically listed is:

anyone@whocares.com

Though \dev\nul will work just as well!

Regards
Peter
Community Veteran

I think your second suggestion could be open to abuse and spam forwarding to other people.

You are responsible for checking the default postmaster mailbox under PlusNet's T+Cs.

The first idea was good though and these forums are definatly the place to put your ideas forward so other customers can agree and disagree and PllusNet can act on what the majority of the users want.

Chris
N/A

Hi Chris

Thanks for your support of my first idea, appreciated. Good point also about possible abuse. I've had my e-mail at UK2 configured this way for 2 years, hadn't thought to abuse it.

I guess the \dev\null idea may be better? An alternative may be that anything not specifically routed at the domain level is deleted after 'nn' days/hours of inaction? Limiting domain level routing to mailboxes within the PlusNet account it is hosted in should limit abuse?

Of course, those intent on causing problems for others can always divert their e-mail at mailbox configuration screen anyways...

Regards
Peter
Community Veteran

>Limiting domain level routing to mailboxes within the PlusNet account it is hosted in should limit abuse?

Yeah good idea, sounds like it might work now.

Chris
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

I also replied here and have raised this as idea 2047.

Regards,
N/A

Many thanks Ian.
N/A

Hi,

I also replied here and have raised this as idea 2047.

Regards,

Hi Ian

Does this mean that the Title of this thread should now be showing the idea number?

Regards
Peter
Community Veteran

Yes i think that it should now show the number if it has been accepted and given one so I have taken the liberty of adding the number for you on the title.

I am sure that Ian and others will agree with this.
Ianwild
Grafter

Does this mean that the Title of this thread should now be showing the idea number?

Yes, it's a manual process though, so if we miss anymore please do let us know.

Regards,
N/A

Thanks Ian and John.
N/A

Any progress on this? It's the only thing stopping me transfering my other domain to PlusNet.

Steffan