cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Idea 1996] Chat site

N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

A forum is far better, and just as good.

It provides pretty much the same functionality, including the ability to wait for a answer when somebody isn't one. Search and ever private messages.
45 REPLIES
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

Good evening,

Just a thought, would it be possible to include a chat forum on the +net site?

This may be a good way for people to learn from others and have some fun doing so.

Regards
me in the attic

:lol:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

[Idea 1996] Chat site

I vote yes But and its a big But. Staffing an IRC server is a pain.

1 to get admins/chanops that know what there doing
2 idiots play with IRC servers will annoying bot net attacks, just cause there there
3 see 2 and 1

But if it happens then yes great, but dont think an ISP could handle the pressure involved. As the last good bot net attack I know of took down an ISP in the US and recently a fairly successful one closed another long time IRC server I used to use.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

They could use a simple web interface to a channel such as #Plusnet or #ISP-Plusnet on Undernet. People used to IRC could use mIRC or whatever also. Ok, getting chanops would be a very tricky problem, due to the "Give me opz!! Please!!!" beggars and the "you is all looserz" , but most channel security issues could be addressed via X the undernet service "bot" or a simple shell account bot and theres bound to be some people who would be willing to act as chanops or chan 'advisers'.

Plus, with the added security of undernets host ip masking facility - it doesnt really pose much of a threat to plusnet, only the IRC servers that are being used. Anyone /whois'ing me on undernet only gets the reply of "JamesUK@JamesUK.users.undernet.org".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

[Idea 1996] Chat site

I'm not on about user security but the Server security. They dont get kicks from attacking individuals but the Server you are using.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

Yessss.....BUT..... If you did set up a channel on undernet for example, theres no more issues to look at than if you were an individual setting one up for yourself.

E.g. : Currently, i am connected to IRC via Surrey.UK.EU.Undernet.Org «Telewest Communications, England» there are always going to be idiots and "warez kidz" DOSsing the servers etc... and with the amount of channels available, I dont think one more is going to cause much more trouble. Thats why using an establised server on undernet is better than say plusnet making a NEW server such as "irc.plusnet.eu.org" - THAT would be asking for trouble because THAT would be on THIER network.

Also, there really isnt anything stopping anyone creating an "un-official" channel on undernet anyway! With or without plusnet backing!
Ianwild
Grafter

[Idea 1996] Chat site

I like this idea personally - For us to even think about supporting it officially though it would have to be resticted to our customers only...

Of course there is nothing stopping you chaps from setting one up yourselves - If it turns out not to be a pain to run I'm sure we would be able to provide a server.

Were you thinking of something like the Chat function at www.adslguide.org.uk?

Ian
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

I like this idea personally - For us to even think about supporting it officially though it would have to be resticted to our customers only...

Of course there is nothing stopping you chaps from setting one up yourselves - If it turns out not to be a pain to run I'm sure we would be able to provide a server.

Were you thinking of something like the Chat function at www.adslguide.org.uk?

Ian

Yes, something like that site would be good for starters Ian, maybe with some emotion icons and the ability to change to a different room.

Cheesy
Ianwild
Grafter

[Idea 1996] Chat site

This has been raised internally as Idea number 1996 - In a few weeks we should have some feedback from the development managers.

In the mean time, please do continue diuscussion on this one - The more info you can give us now the closer we can come to providing what you want.

Regards,
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

Only problem I can see is what kind of chat thing is needed. Would it be just a room for +net people to talk and chat or would it be a help thing or would there be 2 or more rooms for different things like the main Forum...?

If it was a "support" thing, the only real solution is to have it controlled by +net employed support staff, on IRC there are many "help" channels with officials and normal users, BUT you can run into the:

User> Can i use my account at weekends?
User2> No you cant!
@Staff> YES YOU CAN!!!
User2> NO HE CANT!!!! WHAT THE &*(& ARE YOU ON ABOUT
@Staff> under the rules introduced last week he can
User2> Oh well you should of said!!!!

... Kind of thing Evil
fonejacker
Grafter

[Idea 1996] Chat site

Hi There,

It just woulden't be possible to make this an official support channel, it would have to be customers that made it work!

Real time support might be possible one day, but it just won't cut the mustard with the management at the moment I'm afraid, however much I'd like to get payed to sit on IRC all day :roll:
Ianwild
Grafter

[Idea 1996] Chat site

PS. Linas Is my Old username... Sorry I was logged in testing something!
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

If it was a "support" thing, the only real solution is to have it controlled by +net employed support staff, on IRC there are many "help" channels with officials and normal users, BUT you can run into the:

User> Can i use my account at weekends?
User2> No you cant!
@Staff> YES YOU CAN!!!
User2> NO HE CANT!!!! WHAT THE &*(& ARE YOU ON ABOUT
@Staff> under the rules introduced last week he can
User2> Oh well you should of said!!!!

... Kind of thing Evil

I must admit that a chat forum would have some problems with users arguing about details, as in your example mourby. This sort of thing can be annoying and conversely, entertaining.

There are a lot of benefits also:

The ability to talk in real time and possibly sort out a problem with a particular software/hardware glitch that can affect us all from time to time.

Comparing firewalls, system requirements for peripherals, chipsets, motherboards, modems etc., to just having a natter and a laugh.

Finally, there could soon be a community that would contribute to the +net forums popularity. I'm sure that +net management would love to have an active and well respected chat site, with the wealth of knowledge available that comes with experience from the many users who are +net subscribers, to encourage possible new users to join.

Waiting for an answer from the many well versed users who have experience, like acarr and others who offer their help, may well involve a wait of 24 hours. A chat page would offer the user various solutions, albeit contrasting ones, that they may or may not choose to implement.

Ok , so I'm putting forward a very slim case for a chat site, judging from the amount of users that are online now there wouldn't be many people to chat would there?
:roll:
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

A very slim case indeed.

I operate on a few support forums (Check the egghelp.org forum, username ppslim).

Taking the above forum as a very good example (seeing how related to chat systems the site is), I understand fully well, what benafits IRC has over a forum.

However, on top, I know fully well what benafits the forums has over IRC.

On IRC, everything becomes a repetative task. Same answer over and over again (though, I can lend my technical skill sin producing automated bots in this matter).

When there is nobody around to manage the system, racial slur, flooding, advertising and many other things can go un-noticed over and over again.

WIth a forum, you only need paste a single link, or refer a user to the search feature. Everything stands in a very long term record that can be reviewed, and turned around into a FAQ database. Flooding doesn't exist, racial abuse and advertisment can't go un-noticed and users can be banned easily by the support team.

The idea is excelent, and is still well worth the thought (Hell, I am even looking around at some CGI and MySQL based solution as we speak).

That being said, I strongly advise, that you seek clarification on why the IRC V's Forum war can go on and on, with the likes of a forum winning.

One such place to do this, is over at adslguide.org.uk. They provide both.

IRC ends up with people seeking out warez, and in most cases, with channels that are unable to help, as users just idle (I run #mirc4dummies of EFnet, I know what it's like).

Both cases are still on the table, yet checdk out adlsguide.org.uk, and you will see just how well the forums works over IRC.
N/A

[Idea 1996] Chat site

Having looked at around 15 different method tonight, I am a loss, without spending a 100 or so man hours producing a tailored solution.

All of them seem to require a username and password, and give no guest solution.

Those that do, are poor interfaces, with slow DHTML effects.

I would have picked a IRC (RFC 1459) solution, but it is overkill for this. Though this si what adlsguide use, and is a viable option.

Again though, it's a managment thing, and I do not have the time nor resources to start installtion and configuring a IRCD on my local machines. Aditionaly, I do not wish to start using my connection as a testbed for this.

If anybody can find any PHP/PERL and MySQL/Flatfile based chat systems, I would look into them, and look if it is worth giving them a trial.