cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRC and Ellacoya - the great non-problem

N/A

I'm a little baffled (but not surprised). For several months IRC transfers have (excepting certain times of day) been ridiculously slow. I report this on the PN ticket thingy and basically just get told it's not a problem, i.e. it's either a problem outside of PN's network, or it's just part of traffic shaping...

Anyway, what do I see now:

Planned Traffic Management Platform Maintenance - Tuesday 13th February 6:00am-8:00am
Maintenance Window:-
Tuesday 13th February 6:00am-8:00am

Service Affected:-
Broadband Platform.

Duration of expected customer impact:-
No customer impact is expected.

Detailed description of work to be performed:-
We will be upgrading our Ellacoya switches to a new software version to fix a signature detection problem concerning IRC file transfers.

Expected customer impact:-
No customer impact is expected.

Other Details:
None.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Why am I baffled? Well, if there was "no problem" why are you rolling out a "fix"? Also, may I ask you to specifically outline what the "fix" actually resolves?

It's all very well posting service status messages, but if you don't actually outline in detail what's going on how are we to know whether the "problem" in question is the same as our "problem" or whether the "fix" will "fix" our problem?

I would appreciate it if you would therefore outline what has been going wrong on IRC to require this "fix"?
23 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

Lol have you seen the post on PUG about BB+ ,thatll make you laugh Evil
N/A

Lol have you seen the post on PUG about BB+

Link?

EDIT:..i guess you mean this one..
"PUG stance on Broadband Plus speed issues
Since the end of January, peak time speeds for some Broadband Plus users have been below normal. Some forum posts have suggested speeds as low as 56Kbps (not much faster than dialup speeds), although others have shown speeds at the same time which are 4-5Mbps.

Plusnet have stated that Broadband Plus users were previously using a higher proportion of the available bandwidth than the amount their account paid for, which meant that Premier and to a lesser extent PAYG customers received less than their accounts paid for. What Plusnet did at the end of January is allocate the paid for bandwidth to each account type. (eg BB+ pay for 20% of bandwith but used 29%. Since the end of January they now use between 18% and 22%.)

Within this allocated bandwidth, low usage customers receive a better speed than those who have downloaded higher amounts, although 'classic contention' is being allowed to work within the product too as high priority protocols appear to be taking virtually all the available bandwidth. This would explain why not every BB+ customer is seeing the same low speeds, but does suggest all BB+ users are getting a slower speed than is usually possible.

Whilst PUG believe that sharing the bandwidth out fairly is the right thing to do, the sudden change in speeds (and the low speeds seen) is unacceptable. We have been questioning why the sudden slow down and what this means.

Plusnet (specifically James in the portal forums) have advised that they will explain more in the next week. The Usergroup will continue to press for a satisfactory outcome for all where possible.

A possible solution for customers is to move to a different account. For those who use less than 2Gb per month, PAYG offers all traffic in the higher priority gold queue for the same £14.99 per month, although any use over 2Gb is charged at £1.50 per extra 2Gb (pre-paid). For user who use over 10Gb per month (BB+ really isn't the right account for these users anyway) Broadband Premier offers upto 20Gb bandwidth during peak times for £21.99."
N/A

I just found this in the PUG forums though:

November 16th 2006:
"On the 10th of October we upgraded the software that runs the Ellacoya switches to version 6.4. That upgrade was problematic for a number of reasons. Firstly IRC signature detection didn't work. In addition to this we encountered a hardware problem causing high CPU load on the switches. Our network engineers worked hard alongside Ellacoya to ensure that this and a number of other configuration issues were resolved or otherwise mitigated. We now believe all of these problems to be resolved..."

Right, so IRC detection didn't work back when the Ellacoya switches were upgraded to 6.4 in OCTOBER 2006. From NOVEMBER 2006 you were under the impression that "all of these problems" were "resolved".

And yet, in FEBRUARY 2007, you once again admit a problem with IRC detection?!

Is the Feb07 IRC "fix" fixing a problem from 5 months ago, that, up until now, you had denied existed?!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I don't personally know what this change will do, but will check up tomorrow and get back to you.
N/A

Any progress?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The work being done is to correct the identification of DCC traffic.
N/A

Right... so what have the ellacoya switches been identifying DCC as up until now? Has it affected ALL DCC or just some? What has DCC been classified as (bronze/silver/etc.?) up until now, and what will it be classified as from the fix onwardS?

In case you hadn't gathered, I asked for detail, not a restatement of the obvious.
Zathras
Grafter

Not just DCC, p2p programs other than torrents are also mis-idenfified , though support just gives out the usual p2p contention script
If one type of p2p works and another doesnt surely its obvious theres been a mistake in the identification?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't know the specifics on DCC, but in general on Premier if something isn't being picked up correctly it will be classified as silver which is exactly what DCC should be classified as.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Not just DCC, p2p programs other than torrents are also mis-idenfified , though support just gives out the usual p2p contention script
If one type of p2p works and another doesnt surely its obvious theres been a mistake in the identification?

I'll take a look into that and get back to you.
Zathras
Grafter

Someones obviously fixed something for today its working normally Cheesy
N/A

I don't know about that, I'm looking at speeds of less than 1KB via DCC...

EDIT: ... or was that the plan for the fix, to slow things down more?!
Zathras
Grafter

Its not DCC, this was another p2p
N/A

Its not DCC, this was another p2p

Ok, but the service status message only referred to IRC - so I had expected some improvement.