cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP weirdness

N/A

IP weirdness

i won't even start about the latter part of last week/the weekend and the connectivity issues!

what the heck's going on with my IP?

i have a static IP and my netmask is 255.255.255.255, according to my connection page. last week, when i had problems with connectivity, i had to switch my router to dchp to be able to use my connection (which it's still on) and the netmask is now 255.255.255.0

i'm not 100% sure whether or not my problems w. trying to use my router as such are partly due to me meddling with the config that was workig when i initially set it up. when i get the time (busy man!), i'll have a proper look at it. until then, it's just the IP oddness, i'm asking about.

anyone?

--
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: IP weirdness

As far as I know, ip addresses are not assigned to adsl devices using dhcp. In fact, if i try anf use dhcp to obtain an address, my router returns an error.

first thing i would do is turn of the dhcp option Smiley

> i won't even start about the latter part of last week/the weekend and the connectivity issues!
>
> what the heck's going on with my IP?
>
> i have a static IP and my netmask is 255.255.255.255, according to my connection page. last week, when i had problems with connectivity, i had to switch my router to dchp to be able to use my connection (which it's still on) and the netmask is now 255.255.255.0
>
> i'm not 100% sure whether or not my problems w. trying to use my router as such are partly due to me meddling with the config that was workig when i initially set it up. when i get the time (busy man!), i'll have a proper look at it. until then, it's just the IP oddness, i'm asking about.
>
> anyone?
>
>
> --
>

N/A

Hi,

You shouldn't be getting an IP address from DHCP. For this to work you would need a TCP/IP connection available when you first switch on which you don't. I think the connection in the UK useses PPPoA (PPP over ATM) where PPP is the same negotiations used by modems in a regular dial-up.

However, the router may say use dhcp client where it acutally means get dynamically assigned IP address - from PPPoA rather that DHCP.

Are you sure the settings you are refering to for the router are not for the router's local network interface where the router could be acting as a DHCP server with a 24 bit subnet (255.255.255.0) or recieveing an IP address(es) for the local interface(s) from a DHCP server on your network - eg 192.168.0.0/24? These will be the local IP addresses used for the machines being 'NATed' behind the plusnet assigned IP address on the external interface of the router.
N/A

Hi,

The correct subnet for a single IP is .255 as the last octet.

There is nothing to fear with having this as .o either due to IP understanding what and how to send packets to different networks if subnets are different.

Dave Watson.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +