cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile (BRAS) question

sinewave
Grafter

(I understand the speed issues with plusnet - this is different)

During the summer I regularly got speeds of over 4Mb - perhaps 4.8. I can't remember getting over 5 though. At the end of the summer I had problems with my phone line: (audible) crackles and noise would totally mess up my connection but after many weeks of battling with BT (and getting compensation:-) ) I had it fixed.

It took a fair few days for my profile to get changed from something like 512 after that but it is now set at 4000kb/s.

My MSR is quoted as 5600kb/s and my speedtester results provide an almost predictable 3600kb/s, (at least when PN isn't borked). It does "feel" like the speedtesters kind of max-out.

I feel my IP profile is set on the low side.
I consistently sync reliably at around 6Mb/s or more. Line stats at this sync are 45db/6db which seem in line with what they have always been (except when things were faulty)

I have tried power cycling the router now for a week or so but my IP profile does not change.

Its not a big issue really but that extra 1Mb/s on top of what I have does make a difference so I'd like it back :-)

Is there anything I can (or should) do about this?
16 REPLIES
sophos9
Grafter

Don't use the PN tester, it is not reliable. Have you tried the Namesco tester?

What are the outputs of a BT speedtest? speedtester.bt.com
What is the Namesco speed?

PN's MSR looks good, will be worth finding out what your IP profile is (BT speedtester)

Post up... pEaCE$$
sinewave
Grafter

All figures quoted in original post come from various sources...

My speed is tested on namesco and speedtest.net (as well as others)
both give consistently same results.

As does the BT speed tester (which provides the IP profile of 4000mb/s)

this is why I have my suspicions of a low IP profile and posted that question.
sophos9
Grafter

In the instance of your IP profile being incorrectly set you may wish to submit a support ticket asking for a line reset...

I had the same problem, resolved now!
James
Grafter

Hiya,

We and BT both have you profiled at approximately 5mbps. I'd run a BT speedtest and see what kind of results you get form that.
sophos9
Grafter

Another jamesbailey special!! Good man...
sinewave
Grafter

Hiya,

We and BT both have you profiled at approximately 5mbps. I'd run a BT speedtest and see what kind of results you get form that.

Thanks James - but I've done the BTspeed test stuff - its that which is making me suspect something isn't quite right.

I go to www.speedtester.bt.com/, enter my phone number and (when it works) after the test, it says my IP profile is 4000kb/s.

I do this while logged in via my usual PN User/Pass and this way, my current IP profile is quoted as 4000kb/s - ~not~ 5000k or so.

No matter what time of day or night I test I get 3600kb/s ish. Its the fact that number keeps coming up I feel there is some sort of max threshold in place. I have tried three routers too (netgear 814, speedtouch 580, zyxel 660HW (my usual)).

yes, of course, I do see slower speeds sometimes but I put these down to being "out of character", connected with bottlenecks on the ISP side. They typically coincide with a flood of frustrated posts about speed here:-)

My exchange is Red right now but it was green up till recently. The change of colour has not seemed to have affected my BB performance.

I look forward to comments
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the speed history over the last 2 months the speed is going up and down between 4000kbps and 6240kbps (there's nearly 30 changes in 2 months) so I'd probably say give it a few days and it'll probably change again.

The reports we see and that filter through to show the speed on the portal don't operate in real time so it's like that the BRAS speed has changed to 4000kbps since the last report same in and we'll get an update to 4000kbps in the next day or three.

The 3600kbps speed test result sounds about right for an IP profile of 4000kbps when you consider the overheads.
sinewave
Grafter

Thanks for the sensible comments Dave.

can someone (James, Dave?) clarify a few points then...

I have to say though that my IP profile as quoted on the btspeedtest has been 4000kb/s for as long as I can remember - this speedtester is pretty new of course. If it was going to update PN "in the next few days" why hasn't it done so before now? I guess the answer is likely to be buried in the mysterious world of BT :-)

Also
My MSR as quoted on the PN portal actually went up to 5500kb/s from 5000kb/s a matter of days ago - I can't remember exactly when this happened but I'd say it was in December. (update - I see its gone back down to 5000kb - a recent development)

I know the MSR is not the IP profile but it does seem more inline with what I would expect my IP profile to be.

And one more...

When all is said and done though, if I reliably sync at ~6Mb/s or more, attenuation of 45dB and a snr of 6dB without disconnections, should I expect my profile to increase form 4000k? If not, why not? If so, how long will it take? I'm under the assumption that power cycling the router every day helps the process - correct?

[BTW - I have good reasons to think things are not quite right due to various problems I've had over the last few months (nothing to do with PN but BT and router issues). Things have been "sorted" though and seem stable.]

TIA
James
Grafter

The IP Profile is supposedly relatively similar to the bRAS profile at BT's end. Our "MSR" is very similar to the bRAS profile. If you are maintaining a higher sync rate, it's possible that the bRAS/IP Profile will increase.

Power cycling the router on a daily basis is a sensible idea, and the speeds may increase. They may not. It might happen tomorrow, it might happen in 2007. We have no way of knowing!
sophos9
Grafter

The BRAS will take the lowest connected rate and use it for the next 3 days, if the rate changes, the 3 day cycle starts again.

Try leaving your router on 24/7 and monitor for dropped session etc...
sinewave
Grafter

Thanks for the response and chaps.

I thought the IP profile ~was~ the Bras profile!

So we have a sync speed, a Max Stable Rate, a Bras profile, an IP profile, not to mention line stats. Ignoring the ISP effects on speeds, non of these things seem to state exactly what one can expect from the net connection!

Its all very "fuzzy" isn't it!

And to top it all, these things can be affected by another bunch of factors - including the weather and flashing Christmas tree lights!

I think I need a lie down.

Is there any website that explains it all in depth? I feel I should get a life, but the geek in me is just too strong:-)

thanks again.
James
Grafter

I think the IP Profile is ~10% lower than the actual bRAS profile.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that I'm wrong in a sec. Where's godsell4? Smiley
sinewave
Grafter

Holy Cow Batman!!

I have done a google and searched adslguide etc etc and it looks to me like an "IP profile" is exactly the same as a Bras profile. Different words for the same thing.

BUT... anyway....

Tonight my speeds, (during peak time) are over 5MB/s.

Yes... OVER FIVE Mb/s!!!

I've done three tests (BT not working for me right now) using Namesco, speedtest.net and adslguide (ok that came in a shade under 5Mb/s).

James - have you tweaked something?

This is the fastest I have ever seen. This proves to me that my gut instincts were correct - that my previous routers were under performing (they both were crashing and doing "odd" things - I wasn't just going off the speedtests). That the problems I had in the summer with my phone line had messed things up.

For the record I have lodged CS tickets about this for advice. I had no help whatsoever. I was just asking for advice /information but I received just token talk.

I now know what my line is capable of. Of course whether it will always perform up to its best is another thing.

My MSR has now gone UP to 5500Mb/s

I feel strongly that in my case the doom and gloom surrounding speeds has affected the advice I have had from PN. If one has a speed issue its so very likely that the advice will be "live with it", or "yes mine too" and real issues can get overlooked. perhaps a lesson can learned!?

At the end of the day, as I believed, having a high reliable sync speed, with reasonable line stats should bring forth goodness. end of. If it doesn't something is wrong. period.

I am feeling very smug as you might have detected.

Now its time to ~really~ feel PN's traffic throttling and contention at work :-)

regards all.

(Shall I go over to those slow speed threads and boast about my speeds? (evil laugh))
sinewave
Grafter

FWIW I've managed a BT test and my IP profile is now 5500 kb/s - the same as my MSR (speed was 5200). This is the first time I have seen it change from 4000kb/s since using the new BTtest.

james are you sure you've done nothingHuh

I've gained nearly 2Mb/s :-)