cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

N/A

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Hi, wondered why my downloads were particularly slow of late...so i visted http://speedtester.bt.com as advised and got the following info:

1. The Performance Tester is now testing Broadband connection. Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 1000 k

2. Please do not move away from this page and do not start any other download activity on your computer.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4352 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 882 kbps

What's all this about? BTW - stable rate is supposed to be 6500kbps
Cheers
Ian
9 REPLIES
N/A

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Just performed the test again....

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4320 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3191 kbps

still can't figure out why this should be so low?

Cheers
Ian
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Hi,

For a sync speed of 4320kbps, an IP profile of 3500kbps is correct. The throughput rate is calculated from the sync rate based on the following:

Sync speed Throughput speed
from 288kbps up to 0.25Mbps
from 576kbps up to 0.5Mbps
from 1152kbps up to 1Mbps
from 1728kbps up to 1.5Mbps
from 2272kbps up to 2Mbps
from 2848kbps up to 2.5Mbps
from 3424kbps up to 3Mbps
from 4000kbps up to 3.5Mbps
from 4544kbps up to 4Mbps
from 5120kbps up to 4.5Mbps
from 5696kbps up to 5Mbps
from 6240kbps up to 5.5Mbps
from 6816kbps up to 6Mbps
7392kbps up to 6.5Mbps
7968kbps up to 7Mbps
8128kbps up to 7.15Mbps

According to the BT speed reports your sync speed decreased a few times in the last week to between 576kbps and 2Mbps. It may have only been for a few minutes each time but that's why it dropped to 1Mbps. Looks like it's been higher for a few days and has now gone back up to 4320kbpps.
N/A

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Hmmm.. can't work out why the line sync speed has decreased 'for no apparent reason'... has been syncing fine around the 6500kbps mark for months..hence the statement from PN "Your current broadband speed is 6500 Kbps"

Another test today gave these results:

'Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 4352 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2977 kbps'

To have a stable 6500 kbps connection for months suddenly drop to around the 4000 kbps mark with no changes at my end is a bit confusing... can you help to get it increased at all?
Cheers
Ian

oh yeah.. happy new year !
BTW - rebooting my router on daily basis.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Hi,

There could be a number of reasons for the decrease in sync speed. It could be caused by faulty equipment, a fault on the line or at the exchange or something causing interference. Most common reasons at this time of year are Christmas lights and the weather, but it could be down to anything causing interference.

Determining exactly what the cause is could be near on impossible, trial and error with the stuff that might cause problems (like the lights, or wiring and filters), otherwise so long as the line remains stable then in time it should increase again.
Community Veteran

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

There could be a number of reasons for the decrease in sync speed ...

Of course, though it seemed here the customer was being mislead by the information on the PN portal being wildly out of sync with the reports from BT.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Hi,

There could be a number of reasons for the decrease in sync speed. It could be caused by faulty equipment, a fault on the line or at the exchange or something causing interference. Most common reasons at this time of year are Christmas lights and the weather, but it could be down to anything causing interference.

Determining exactly what the cause is could be near on impossible, trial and error with the stuff that might cause problems (like the lights, or wiring and filters), otherwise so long as the line remains stable then in time it should increase again.

Hmmm. you're right - there could be a number of reasons... however, i don't have cat5 x-mas lights or weather balloon.. ;o) sounds more like a British Rail excuse with leaves on the line... oh yeah.. bought a new tumble dryer - wonder if that's the cause? ;o) suppose i could get some more filters for the kettle?

Could it not be some sort of throttling at PN's end to accommodate the higher than normal traffic due to the christmas period?

Forgive me for being cynical...but everythime i've raised a job regarding line speed i've been constantly subjected to the 'check your own equipment' fob off.... i've never needed to make any changes at this end but somehow things suddenly get resolved........

Cheers
Ian
N/A

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Don't you just hate it when this happens?

I thought i was being smart in my previous post...then realised that following some decorating my son plugged the sky box/phone back in but didn't use a filter... i plugged the filter back in and increased my sinc by 1000kbps instantly.....

I hold my hands up for being a 'Richard Head' .... but at least i've let you know i'm a 'Richard' ;o)

Happy New Year..

Ian
alankay
Grafter

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

It happens to us all, Ian. My little network would tick along nicely if it weren't for the other family members using it! Glad your problems fixed. Smiley
Mand
Grafter

IP Profile just 1000Kbps

Glad to hear it's all sorted now.