cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP folders - from webmail to OE

hatchwarren
Dabbler

Until now I've just used the webmail portal, and have created various folders which now contain quite a lot of mail (which is obviously held on the servers).

For various reasons I'd now like to use OE and store mail locally, using webmail only for quick checks when away from home.

I've set OE up and it reads mails from my inbox (and deletes them from the server, because that's how I've configured it). What I can't find out how to do is to move all the emails from my folders on the server to correspondingly-named folders in OE. I suppose at worst I could move everything back from the online folders (one folder at a time) to the inbox, run OE then move them to the local folders - but it seems fiddly and I'm worried about losing emails in the process. Is there a better way of doing this?

Steve Adams
5 REPLIES
N/A

You need to setup OE to use IMAP instead of POP3 then subscribe to the folders you which to download. When you done this then you can drag the emails to another non IMAP folder, i.e generate folders with the same names in a default POP3 accont.
Community Veteran

Create another account in OE but set it up as IMAP not POP3 - use imap.plus.net for the pop3/imap incoming server. The IMAP account can then show all the IMAP folders like you can when using webmail - you may need to select the ones you want to see by clicking on the main IMAP folder name.

You can then create any new folders under your pop3 account and move the emails from the IMAP folder to the new POP3 folder you have created.
driveconsultant
Grafter

Was OE an informed choice of mail client or just something you did by default?

OE is generally regarded as a poor relation, and there are more fully featured mail clients out there - both free and paid for. I am not going to state my preferred client, I will just say that it is open source, free, and runs on a variety of platforms (including of course Windows which you are obviously using).

Just thought I would mention this before you become too embroiled.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I am not going to state my preferred client, I will just say that it is open source, free, and runs on a variety of platforms (including of course Windows which you are obviously using).

I wonder why not, people may be interested in your opinion?

I would suggest trying Thunderbird.
driveconsultant
Grafter

I am not going to state my preferred client, I will just say that it is open source, free, and runs on a variety of platforms (including of course Windows which you are obviously using).

I wonder why not, people may be interested in your opinion?

I didn't think this forum was the place for advocacy when the OP wasn't asking for it.

I would suggest trying Thunderbird.

Hmmm, that extremely fine piece of software seems to fit the criteria I was describing above... Wink
You might think I was referring to Thunderbird (Mozeralla as my wife calls it) - I couldn't possibly comment.