cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP Mail and Folders...

N/A

IMAP Mail and Folders...

Have created a number of folders to filter various mails, but all folders are created and hence all messages are still remaining in my Inbox, which is slowing the whole thing down. Cry

Is this the way IMAP folders are meant to work? We use IMAP at work, but there any folders are created outside of the Inbox... Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Tim
4 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

IMAP Mail and Folders...

Hi there,

Where the folders are created depends on the mail client that you use to create the folders rather that being a server side thing as far as I am aware. I use IMAP and evolution as my mail client and this works fine.

Regards,
N/A

IMAP Mail and Folders...

Hi - thanks for the response. I've been doing some investigation...

I primarily use Mail on Mac OS X, which seems to create the subfolders anywhere inside the Inbox folder but gives no option to create anywhere else.

I then tried this with Entourage on Mac OS X. It also let me create inside the Inbox but failed to let me access anywhere 'above' Inbox in the hierarchy, giving the error "Invalid Mailbox Name". Then, being a typical micro$oft product, it crashed. This happened twice.

I then tried Mozilla, again on Mac OS X. This gave me the option of where did I want to create the folder... I selected the top level of the account, but I got the message "The currect command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Invalid mailbox name.".

I then tried from a PC running W2K. Outlook Express 6 again allows the creation of subfolders but when I try to create at the same level as Inbox, I get the error "Your folder could not be created: the IMAP server refused to create it" followed by "Invalid Mailbox Name". Funnily enough it didn't crash.

In Netscape, I get the same message.

I'd say there's a theme here...

Now interestingly enough in Evolution, I see the subfolders *displayed* at the same level as the Inbox, which is I guess what you're seeing. If you try with KMail, you will see these folder as subfolders of the Inbox...

Testing this against my work's setup, I can create a subfolder of the mail server by selecting the account/server in question... see this page for an example... note it looks just like Evolution, but it's not the same!

Thanks!
Tim
Ianwild
Grafter

IMAP Mail and Folders...

This is standard for Courier IMAP. It does not support folders outside of the Inbox tree.

Can you just be a bit more specific about what problem this causes?

Regards,

Ian
N/A

IMAP Mail and Folders...

Ian

That's great - thanks for replying. Looking at the URL you supplied it describes the problem exactly in the FAQ and how the namespace settings work. It would appear that Apple's Mail client is the most compliant in this respect.

Whilst it's certainly not a problem as such, it is a pain when having a large amount of mail left in the Inbox since it really slows webmail down. Of course it could all be stored locally but that defeats the object of IMAP, surely!

Thanks!
Tim