cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP Access to Folders

N/A

IMAP Access to Folders

I've switched to Imap access to my plusnet email as I also use IMAP at work to Access NHS.NET
With Plusnet email all I see is my Inbox, whereas with NHS.NET I see my sent mail
As I sometimes use webmail to reply to messages if a quick response is required, I'd like to be able to see the contents of the "Sent" folder so I can drag them into my PST's Sent Items, and also the "Trash" Folder could be useful so I can remotely purge it. Is this possible via your IMAP interface?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

IMAP Access to Folders

Are you using Outlook 2003 as part of metaframe or nfuse?

I have not been able to add any external e-mail accounts to my nhs outlook due to restrictions in place by the IT contractors.

My understanding is that access to any external email servers is not possible. Also lately access to webmail services, certainly in Glasgow, have been withdrawn.

If you have a valid and work related reson why you should be able to access your personal e-mail at work then you need to call IT.

I currently have issues surrounding access to a domain which I run for my professional body and have been trying to regain web-mail access for about 6 weeks.

if it just for home access and personal reasons then you're out of luck.

Nns.net is classed as internal and access to this is accepted by Outlook, sadly I've not managed to get it to work though.

Off topic but as you're nhs have applied for your copy of Office 2007 Enterprise. If not go to : https://www.microsoft.com/uk/nhs/licensing/home-user-program/default.mspx

Enter your NHS.net email address and follow the procedure through. instead of paying £450 you get it all for £17.30 ish as the NHS hold a special lisence with MS.

A

A
N/A

IMAP Access to Folders

I'm using Outlook 2K3 on both sites, no my trust don't want to go to 2K7 yet, let someone else Beta test for MS.

I just wanted to know why the PLUSNET IMAP only gives access to the inbox, surely it ought to provide connection to all the PlusDSL mail server folders?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

IMAP Access to Folders

I just wanted to know why the PLUSNET IMAP only gives access to the inbox, surely it ought to provide connection to all the PlusDSL mail server folders?

Absolutely no idea TBH but I will try and find out for you.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

IMAP Access to Folders

can you see your imap inbox? My Trust are not as forward thinking or liberal :-(

To see some folders you need to delve a bit deeper into outlook. HIghlight your pn inbox and right click. On the subsequent menu click IMAP folders, select query and outlook will display the full list of folders available. Subscribe to the folders you wish to see on your pn imap account.

A
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

IMAP Access to Folders

Hi again,

The fact that you don't have a sent items folder to subscribe to is a limitation in the software we're using (courier).

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

swl
Dabbler

IMAP Access to Folders

This might be caused by you not having the "Root folder path" defined in Outlook (on the "Advanced" tab, under "More Settings..." for your plusnet account. Set it to "INBOX." including the full stop!

As well or instead, it might be to do with Outlook's odd way of saving to the Sent Items folder.

There's lots of help about both of these at www.emaildiscussions.com and in the www.fastmail.fm help pages.

I hate to contradict Bob, but I don't think it's a problem with courier. Outlook works with my email provider's courier IMAP server. Having said that, Outlook Express is a fine IMAP client, and I'd recommend it over Outlook.

Steve
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

IMAP Access to Folders

I hate to contradict Bob, but I don't think it's a problem with courier. Outlook works with my email provider's courier IMAP server. Having said that, Outlook Express is a fine IMAP client, and I'd recommend it over Outlook.

Hmmm, interesting. I certainly couldn't subscribe to any sent items folder across several clients. Having said that I'm appreciative of the pointer regarding Courier. I'll take that back to those involved and dig a little deeper Wink

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

markgillespie
Grafter

IMAP Access to Folders

This thread is sounding VERY similar to the problems I have been encountering since the email server changes recently..

I can see the Inbox, but none of the sub folders...

Even using the INBOX.Trash and INBOX.Sent notation.
swl
Dabbler

IMAP Access to Folders

I can confirm that I can see all IMAP folders (Sent, Trash, Drafts, etc.) in Outlook. I was going to post an image to demonstrate, but posting images appears less than straightforward. Instead, I offer to email the image to anyone who would like it, together with my Outlook settings.

Just one more point about Outlook. Outlook saves emails that you send in its own local "Sent Items". You have to use a rule to save it to the IMAP server's "Sent" folder. This is a well-known quirk of Outlook...

Another thought: I don't know if I've been moved to the new email platform(?) and whether that may affect anything...?

The problem may still be that your nhs network blocks IMAP. Try opening a command prompt and typing
telnet imap.plus.net 143
and tell us what you get.
I get this:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFER
ENCES SORT QUOTA] Courier-IMAP ready..etc.

Hope this helps.
Steve
swl
Dabbler

IMAP Access to Folders

Just to clarify:

* On PN's IMAP server the folder is "Sent".

* Outlook's local folder (ie, Personal folder) is "Sent Items".

* I can see the IMAP server's "Sent" folder in Outlook, along with Trash, etc.

"Sent Items" is not the same as "Sent".

Confused yet?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

IMAP Access to Folders

Indeed.

Looks like my previous reply was inaccurate. Setting up an IMAP box in Thunderbird here shows both the Sent Items and Trash folders so Courier clearly does support it.

I'm now off to kick the person who supplied me with the dodgy info Wink

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team