Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IF YOU GOT BAD PING READ THIS!!!

N/A

IF YOU GOT BAD PING READ THIS!!!

USE DR TCP

INPUT THESE SETTINGS AND VOILA!

Rwin 64240 / Windows Scaling Yes / Timestamp Off / Selective ACKs Default / MTU discovery On / Black hole detection On / TTL 128 / MTU 1492

my ping went ***** 2 weeks ago..

and now its back down to 20-50 .....hooray
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: IF YOU GOT BAD PING READ THIS!!!

All these setting can be pc specific changing these setting can stop you connecting so take care ensure you can get back to your original setting first

The MTU can be miles out if you are on a modem

> USE DR TCP
>
> INPUT THESE SETTINGS AND VOILA!
>
> Rwin 64240 / Windows Scaling Yes / Timestamp Off / Selective ACKs Default / MTU discovery On / Black hole detection On / TTL 128 / MTU 1492
>
> my ping went ***** 2 weeks ago..
>
> and now its back down to 20-50 .....hooray

oliverb
Grafter

I suspect that the settings that give the best ping may not give the best throughput and vice-versa.

> All these setting can be pc specific changing these setting can stop you connecting so take care ensure you can get back to your original setting first
>
> The MTU can be miles out if you are on a modem
>
> > USE DR TCP
> >
> > INPUT THESE SETTINGS AND VOILA!
> >
> > Rwin 64240 / Windows Scaling Yes / Timestamp Off / Selective ACKs Default / MTU discovery On / Black hole detection On / TTL 128 / MTU 1492
> >
> > my ping went ***** 2 weeks ago..
> >
> > and now its back down to 20-50 .....hooray
>
>

N/A

That is precisely what I did and my ping shot down to 20... now it is back to 100 again!

I believe it is something to do with the time of day too!
Try your ping tonight, it'll probably be between 80-100 Sad
N/A

Basic question... What does 'Ping' mean? I've often wondered. I'm assuming it's something do do with sites refusing to load. I'm experiencing this a lot lately.
I'm using 'connect light' though. (56k dial up.)

N/A

Ping is a command, open up a command window, and try "ping portal.plus.net". It sends ip packets to a host and these are echoed back. So its a way of measuring how long it takes for a packet to get there and back. Low pings are good, especially for gamers. High pings are bad, ditto.
N/A

Er seeing as I don't know what a command window is I'll get back to you on this one. I'm not normally this dumb.
Thanks anyway.

N/A

> Er seeing as I don't know what a command window is I'll get back to you on this one. I'm not normally this dumb.
> Thanks anyway.
>
>

Command prompt maybe? Try looking under Start Menu\Programs.
Community Veteran

> Er seeing as I don't know what a command window is I'll get back to you on this one. I'm not normally this dumb.
> Thanks anyway.
>
>

Paul

Click on the DOS option in your start menu and it will open a DOS Box which is is also known as a command window by virtue of the fact that it has a DOS Command prompt there waiting for you to type something.
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Got it now. Thanks.
espresso_mick
Grafter

Seen as there was a question from someone using 56k dial-up, I thought I would just add this.

The settings for MTU & RWIN mentioned would not help 56k people as they are too big.

For dial-up, I would recommend 576 for the MTU and 2144 for the RWIN. These are the settings I used to use (with success) when I was on 56k.

http://www.micksworld.plus.com