cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to leave Plusnet for another ISP but cant

N/A

I have been with Plusnet for 4months (Max). Since the introduction of throttling on NNTP / P2P i now wish to leave and go to another ISP. However like many other users i am locked into a contract for a service that no longer meets my needs. Is their any compromise that can be made by PN for people like myself. I am happy to pay the £58 connection charge but im not prepared to pay 8months subscriptions of £21.99. I dont think i should have to pay 8x £21.99 for a service i will not be using should i choose to leave PN.

Is their any middle ground or do people in my situation have no choice but to get 3rd party companies like: ofcom, ispa etc involved?.

Can the following clause get me out of my contract:

"If you give us notice that falls before the end of your current contract period because we have increased our charges or materially changed the conditions of this contract to your detriment, you may cancel in the period of time between the notice of the changes and the time the changes take place."
67 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

As has already been said several times, the recent introduction of a usenet usage level aren't a change to the terms and conditions. We already had provision in the Ts & Cs to manage the network, or part of it, in order to protect the network itself.

Additionally, this isn't the place to seek legal advice, and you would be better off asking elsewhere, where you know the people you are speaking to have been trained to deal with your issue.
Community Veteran

No, it would have done at the end of august begining of september when the terms were changed but not now.
N/A

Hi,

As has already been said several times, the recent introduction of a usenet usage level aren't a change to the terms and conditions. We already had provision in the Ts & Cs to manage the network, or part of it, in order to protect the network itself.

Additionally, this isn't the place to seek legal advice, and you would be better off asking elsewhere, where you know the people you are speaking to have been trained to deal with your issue.

The changes to NNTP / P2P are indeed to my "detriment" so therefore this statement does apply to me. I am not after legal advice i just wish for someone at PN to answer my question stated below:

Q) Are you prepared to make a compromise and let me leave PN and just pay £58 activation charge?

I think i however already have established that you (Plusnet) are not prepared to budge on this matter and i need to take further action.
LiamM
Grafter

The terms cover that if they change the terms and conditions to your detriment, not if they change the product to your detriment. Slightly different things, since the terms allow PN to throttle whatever they like effectively. So no change to terms required.
N/A

No, it would have done at the end of august begining of september when the terms were changed but not now.

I dont check the T&C's on a weekly basis. I have only just (In the past week) realised and established the cause of the slowdown. Now i know thats its caused by PN i am taking action.

When i emailed PN a month ago reporting USENET / NNTP issues i was told it was due to a fault with the USENET service. Obviously if i would have known back then it was due to "Throttling" i would have cancelled rather than leave it to now.
Community Veteran

they may be to your detriment, but there has been no change to the contract since august / september, when you could have got out with just the £58 charge that is to your detriment. Plusnet have got the legalities covered AFAIK, if you wish to do as john suggests and consult a trained lawyer, please go ahead and let us know how you get on...
channel
Grafter

The easy way to get your annual contract annulled is simply to break the SUP. Do that for 2 months in a row and PN have stated they will waive outstanding contract fees. It's on the sup pages.

Crazy, really, that you have to hammer the service in this way, causing all sorts of trouble and creating load on the pipes in order to get PN to agree to the reasonable thing..... still, those are the rules, so probably best to just start hammering your connection 24/7 asap.
N/A

they may be to your detriment, but there has been no change to the contract since august / september, when you could have got out with just the £58 charge that is to your detriment. Plusnet have got the legalities covered AFAIK, if you wish to do as john suggests and consult a trained lawyer, please go ahead and let us know how you get on...

I shouldnt have to get a lawyer involved and have never said i wish to do this. I guess i thought PN had some consideration for their customers and wouldnt wish to take the "Nasty ILL feelings" route.

I still push for a answer on the "PN willing to compromise" question?
N/A

Is it still possible to hammer your connection 24/7 without p2p and nntp?Huh
N/A

The easy way to get your annual contract annulled is simply to break the SUP. Do that for 2 months in a row and PN have stated they will waive outstanding contract fees. It's on the sup pages.

Crazy, really, that you have to hammer the service in this way, causing all sorts of trouble and creating load on the pipes in order to get PN to agree to the reasonable thing..... still, those are the rules, so probably best to just start hammering your connection 24/7 asap.

Do i really have to resort to doing this. Surely PN are decent enough people to just let one person go without things having to get nasty. Even if i could break the SUP i doubt i could download enough with only 28kb/s bandwidth.

At a rate of about 100.8mb (28kb/s) per hour its gonna take someone a lot of time to break the SUP.
channel
Grafter

Is it still possible to hammer your connection 24/7 without p2p and nntp?Huh

It's certainly getting more difficult. Probably the best thing to do is to download every available Linux ISO via http whilst also running usenet and p2p apps at the same time. I think you would get there eventually.
channel
Grafter

I shouldnt have to get a lawyer involved and have never said i wish to do this. I guess i thought PN had some consideration for their customers and wouldnt wish to take the "Nasty ILL feelings" route.

I agree that jwhiting was rather quick off the mark treating your post as some sort of legal sabre rattling. It seemed like a straightforward request for some informal guidance to me which wasn't very legalistic at all and jwhiting immediately started reading between the lines. It's all the more annoying when other posters then jump on the same bandwagon, telling you to seek legal advice, when that was never on your mind in the first place.
Community Veteran

sorry Shockedops:, i did include the words if you wish...
channel
Grafter

Almost forgot!!

There is one other way to get released from your contract early. It's less formal but has worked in the past.

Details are in lifeboat's 25 October post in this thread:

http://www.plusnetters.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139

Essentially it seems that if you complain loudly enough, often enough, PN will be pleased to see the back of you. Certainly, being reasonable doesn't seem to have got you anywhere so far.