cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish I never......

N/A

I wish I never......

My sister was looking to go down the ADSL route and asked my advice a month or so ago and I advised that she go to PN as I have had no problems with their service as such. Well last week she received the modem from PN and asked me to set it up for her yesterday, managed to get her online very easily, did a speed test and all appeared to be fine until I logged her in to my easynews account and tried to download an iso and foudn that her download speed was less than 15K.

She commented on how bad this was and said that she was better off with dial up!, I then remote connected to my box and set the same file downloading and I had a fairly good speed (i am allowing for the shaping that appears to be going on on the premier accounts) so I then downloaded firefox on her PC and that appeared to download at the speed i would expect for a 2mb connection. Are PN shaping the Broadband Plus accounts this much?

She tried to download something else today and is still only getting less than 15K, this service really is a joke I really wish I did not advise her to come to PN now, if the speed does not pick up I guess her only option is to A) Leave PN - I hope no cost will be incurred here or B) Upgrade to the premier account.

Is anyone else experiencing such poor download speeds on the BB+ service?

So far her experience of PN has not been good and thats really a shame.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I wish I never......

Yes plus do shape bb+ heavily, that is why it is not suitable (in PN's words designed) for binary usenet and p2p.
N/A

I wish I never......

A) Leave PN - I hope no cost will be incurred here

no doubt you will be unsatisfied with the answer to this. assuming you are within the satisfaction guarantee period you will not pay anything to migrate, other than the cost of the BT installation, which plusnet paid on your behalf.

you've signed up to a product that was unsuitable for your requirements. i would agree that the product description does not adequately inform the customer of this. it might be worth pursuing that issue, but plusnet will not cooperate with a debtor.
N/A

I wish I never......

I expect she will just go for the upgrade of the account, its much easier than going down the other route....
N/A

I wish I never......

Despite what you may have read here on the forums........ I don't think you will regret it

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed as it was just a copy of the preceding post.
N/A

I wish I never......

A) Leave PN - I hope no cost will be incurred here

you've signed up to a product that was unsuitable for your requirements. i would agree that the product description does not adequately inform the customer of this. it might be worth pursuing that issue, but plusnet will not cooperate with a debtor.

From experience the sales people at plusnet inform the potential customers that premier is the account you need for heavy downloading whereas the plus, account is mainly for general surfing, emails and some http downloading and other general web usage

In fairness it does say on the site that plus is "Perfect for regular surfing, email, chatting and shopping" whereas broadband premier says "Ideal for experienced, serious Internet users" and also "Premium quality service for all types of usage", maybe it should say P2P but it is more than implied (and i think no ISP would want to be plastering come get your music downloads with us, wether the RIAA like it or not - and no i dont think that ll p2p stuff is illegal so plz no comments)

On the positve side Upgrading to premiere should incur no costs, how many contracts can say that?
N/A

I wish I never......

True, when she initially started out she said all she wanted was to surf and email and the occasional download which is why she went down the BB+ route. We didnt realise that usenet was throttled so much, she only downloads like less than 1gb a month through usenet so thought this would be fine on BB+, looks like this isnt the case so I have advised her to upgrade to the 'premier' account so she can have a less 'restricted' service. Also just for some clarification they do throttle even premier accounts right? reason I ask is that during the day my download speeds are p**s poor and also at weekends.
Community Veteran

I wish I never......

If your sister is only a light downloader would she be better of on payg?