cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to migrate, plusnet are asking for £47! why.

N/A

here is the communcation so far:

I am moving due to the fact it is insanely diffcult to talk to some one through your customer support, takes forever to just talk to somebody. also i find the speeds slowing at peak times, i want a company who cares about there customers, also i have found something cheaper. your customer support people are polite and handle problems quickly but it takes an age to get through to them. i was told if i send this today i would not be bound to another month with you. as this is 30 days in advance of my next payment. i would like my mac code sent to me as soon as poosible

thank you.
Aaron

there reply:

Dear Mr Evans,
So we can arrange the cancellation you have requested your deferred fee which is currently £47.00 will need to be paid, this is for your activation originally received from us.

This payment will be made from a credit card listed, so please make sure a PRIMARY credit card is setup on your account and that its valid.

If you confirm this payment can be taken then we will take it straight away and then schedule the cancellation.

Your 30 day cancellation period will then run from your next invoice date.

Regards,
Link:CUAremoved

where was this when i signed up because i certinely didn't see it. any explanation, this is the last straw plusnet are a money grabbing greeder company i am sure they have no regaurds for there customers, i'm very angry and i will be making sure that i will warn anyone even thing about comming to plusnet.
25 REPLIES
N/A

So when you signed up and saw the box that said "do you want to pay the activation fee now or have it deferred" option, you looked straight at the 0.00 and didnt think why there were two options?

Want the detail? 'You stay we pay' explained.

For every year you stay with PlusNet we'll guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay £47 for the activation. For every year you stay we'll reduce this by £9.40. If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year and this will reduce by £5 for each year that you stay.

You can choose an annual or monthly contract when you choose broadband.

Prices correct at time of publication and exclude short term special offers.

* availability of maximum download speed is subject to location

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/freesetup.shtml?link=bbpremier_free_setup
N/A

Don't want to pay a penny for setup? No problem, we'll take care of it. All we ask is that you stay with us! Let's face it, with a service as good as this, why would you leave?

What an ironic quote hey?
N/A

An unfortunate quote given the current situation for some folks, but at least it too conveys the message!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've replied to your ticket about this for you.
kryten1st
Grafter

Have a look at this it makes interesting reading http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2349 its near the bottom of the page.
By the looks of things plusnet have changed the terms of the service so its completely different to what you originally agreed to as such you should be able to claim cancellation on these grounds.
N/A

You can only claim the cancellation on the grounds of a change to the terms if you do so within 14 days of the change becoming effective.
A number of times in recent years I have seen PN agree to allow people to leave without penalty when T's and C's have been radically altered.
N/A

I don't think Plus.net have any problem with him leaving, just that he has to pay for the hardware and activation that he deffered when he signed up.

The ADSLGuide page does say the following:-
the cost of deferred activation would indeed be chargeable in addition to hardware, although they will waive other contractual obligations requiring a minimum term.

So if they were asking for the rest of the years subscription fees in ADDITION to the activation/hardware fees then yes he could probably avoid paying those, in this however the charge should stand.
N/A

Trying to argue that he was unhappy with the T's and C's wouldn't work since he already raised a ticket saying [quote"aaron1uk"] am moving due to the fact it is insanely diffcult to talk to some one through your customer support, takes forever to just talk to somebody. also i find the speeds slowing at peak times
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Please accept my apologies for the initial error in your being advised that the cancellation fee was £47. This was from one of our new starters who made an unfortunate error, and will be advised accordingly. The correct cancellation fee is £36.

This is because you signed up to our special offer whereby your first three months were £9.99 rather than £21.99. The cancellation fee of £36 is the difference of the two fees, ie: £12*3=£36.

The details of this offer, as per your request, can be found here:

http://www.plus.net/info2/move_broadband/terms.html
N/A

Ah, that makes sense, although if I were a pedant I may well argue that since the contract will end "in year two" (once the notice period has been fulfilled - by my rudimentary calculations) I would suggest that the T's and C's which are referred to above tell us that the outstanding fee will be £28.80 "in year two"

Perhaps I have misread them though, whats everybody else's take on them?
The rebate is offered in conjunction with our “You Stay, We Pay” offer. For every year you stay with PlusNet we will guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay a total of £50.99. (made up of £14.99 migration costs and £36.00 the cost of the subscription rebate). In year two this reduces to £28.80, year three this reduces to £21.60, in year four this reduces to £14.40 and year five £7.20.
kryten1st
Grafter

No Mention of Deferred activation

:twisted: Perhaps one of the plusnet comms team can expain to me why I am being told I have tp pay £47 to leave them. Have just been reading my original email from them giving my account details ie.Broadband premier up to 2mb broadband (but I only get 1mb broadband) annual contract no modem for £21.99 per month. No mention anywhere of the deferred activation fee. If you would get off your butts and upgrade me to a faster speed (without trying to empty my pockets) maybe I would be happy staying put, even though its nearly impossible to speak to someone @ plusnet. Evil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Ah, that makes sense, although if I were a pedant I may well argue that since the contract will end "in year two" (once the notice period has been fulfilled - by my rudimentary calculations) I would suggest that the T's and C's which are referred to above tell us that the outstanding fee will be £28.80 "in year two"

This is correct isn't it? If year 1 starts on 1st June 2005, then year 2 begins on 1st June 2006. So a cancellation between 1st June 2005 and 31st May 2006 would have to pay the £36 deferred fee and the £14.99 migration fee. From the start of the second year the £14.99 migration fee is no longer due (this is only paid if you cancel within 12 months) and the £36.60 is reduced by 20% to £28.80.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: No Mention of Deferred activation

Perhaps one of the plusnet comms team can expain to me why I am being told I have tp pay £47 to leave them

When you signed up you have the choice of paying for the activation costs up front or deferring the cost over 5 years. You would have chosen the option to defer the cost over 5 years. For every complete year that you remain a PlusNet broadband customer the cancellation reduces by 20% such that after 5 years this is reduced to zero.

If you would get off your butts and upgrade me to a faster speed (without trying to empty my pockets) maybe I would be happy staying put, even though its nearly impossible to speak to someone @ plusnet. Evil

I have placed a regrade order for you, should be done in the next couple of days.
kryten1st
Grafter

Deferred activation

Evil Well like a lot of people I don't remember any mention of a deferred activation, and looking through my account details supplied by you there is no mention of it at all. I'm sure you can point it out in some small print somewhere, my only conclusion is it was made to be deliberatly confusing. If I had known about it I'm sure I would have looked else where for my broadband. It seems like blackmail to me to charge your customers this fee because they want to change provider. As far as I'm concerned I have been with you for a year so should not be charged anything, after all my previous provider didn't threaten me with a nearly £50 charge when I cancelled my account with them. Will be seeking advice on this matter & would advise everybody else to do the same. Evil