cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to get my MAC key, but....

FooAtari
Grafter

As a result of the email issue I wish to cancel my account.

I am now receiving a high amount of offensive and unwanted spam emails. I have just signed up for another year during a house move, but I don't really think you are providing an acceptable service and I have lost confidence in Plus.net.

As suggested I have read through the information you provided in the help pages. I do not use my email that often so I had kept it completely spam free.

The methods described may keep my inbox spam free but this is not always perfect meaning some spam will get through and some legitimite email my be marked as spam. I'm not really happy with this "fix"

The problem is you have asked me to pay £60 in termination fees. Even though I stated I didnt want to pay it, no mention of that request was made in the reply to the ticket.

I'm not really happy continuing with Plus.net and I would appreciate my MAC key, but I don't feel I should have to pay any sort of early termination fee as I am leaving as a result of your poor service.

I don't think I should have to pay when its due to your issues that there are problems, and it is me who has been inconvenienced.

Ticket 21992539

Thanks
14 REPLIES
ravar
Grafter

Heck, forgot I have also moved house and I am therefor in the same fix. I was about to ask for my MAC but will not pay to leave a service that has compromised my email address.
chrisc
Grafter

@ footari,

I appreciate your comments and the frustrating nature of this situation - pretty much all the staff here are receiving the same Spam emails.

The measures that we have put in place have significantly reduced the impact to those who have activated them - by moving emails tagged as [Spam] to the spam folder in Webmail they will not be downloaded to your client. You can check the Spam folder via Webmail every so often to check for any false positives.

This will pretty much make your inbox spam free again.

With regards to the 'cancellation' charge - this cannot be waived for you. It is comprised of a pro-rata subscription charge for the notice period and the deferred housemove charge.

This was paid to BT Wholesale at the time of the move and will need to be paid if you leave within 12 months of the house move.

I hope that you give the new spam features a try and notice the postiive impact that they can have.
N/A

Also worth noting that you will shortly be able to choose a new username (see the PlusNet Incident Report) and/or free domain to receive e-mail on.

If you change ISP you will need to change e-mail addresses anyway, so simply changing your username with PlusNet won't leave you any worse off, and should mean you are spam free again.
FooAtari
Grafter

I have two email addresses a web based (for the very purpose of making changing ISP's easier) and my ISP one.

I appreciate the efforts Plus.net have made. But I still cannot belive your system was hacked and my personal details compromised.

I understand that you make the payment to BT Wholesale, but it's not my problem that your system was not up to scratch. You heavily compromised customer details and as a result have lost my confidance and faith in your abilities as an ISP. This is just the latest in a string of errors from Plus.net

I feel that it is only fair that as compensation for this you allow me to leave without penalty.

If you change ISP you will need to change e-mail addresses anyway, so simply changing your username with PlusNet won't leave you any worse off, and should mean you are spam free again.

But that does not resolve my feeling that Plus are not deserving of my subscription every month.
chrisc
Grafter

As previously posted we have offered numerous options for our customers and increased our spam protection offerings. We are also looking at further steps such as new usernames and domains for customers. This was detailed in the FAQ and at present we have no set timelines for this.

The vulnerability was exploited in a third party piece of software and we have since done all we can to ensure this will not happen again.

We will not be offering compensation for this and if you still wish to leave then the charges will still apply.
FooAtari
Grafter

The vulnerability was exploited in a third party piece of software and we have since done all we can to ensure this will not happen again.

It's not really my concern who or what is to blame. I pay Plus.net for a service, I trust you pick the right tools for the job and keep your systems and software fully up to date.

I have defended Plus.net many times on these forums and have always been happy with your service, until now. I'm actually quite surprised by the tone of your response.

I guess £45 is a lot better than giving you over £200 for the rest of the year. I will wait until the end of my current billing period and request my mac at that point.

I guess I am partly to blame for this, had I done a little more research before I moved I would have found some ISP's that offer a better package. Instead I thought you were fairly competative and chose to stay.
Laugh
Grafter

Earlier in the week I mentioned a pork chop and a holy place and Chilly removed it Sad so I can't say that.

But, without wanting to throw a Big Mac into a vegetarian conference, don't forget that you will need to give 30 days notice of cancelling your account.

If you're leaving ask for your mac code, sort out a broadband migration, and then give your 30 days notice. Waiting for your next billing period will only mean it will cost you more. :?
Community Veteran

The cost will be the same whether you request you MAC now or just before your next billing date, you still have to pay 1 more monthly fee. If you request it now, you can request a refund for the period after the 30 day notice period ends.

Also your 30 days notice starts when you request your MAC, not when you arrange to move to another ISP.
Community Veteran

Well at least we will not have the religious groups on our backs. I am just checking with the vegetarian society about the, big Mac, Is it a bean burger or meat?

Chilly
chrisc
Grafter

@fooatari

I'm sorry if you felt the tone of my response was not acceptable and I appreciate that you are a regular poster on these forums.

I understand your comments and did not mean to cause offence.

We are not offering compensation as we feel we are offering a series of other features to our customers to minimise the impact of this issue - as discussed in the FAQ we are working on ways to allow customers to change their username or offer them a free domain name.

Apologies once again.
Laugh
Grafter

Is it a bean burger or meat?

I'm not telling Tongue Still sulking Wink

Also your 30 days notice starts when you request your MAC, not when you arrange to move to another ISP

This was the thing that got me confused? :? Not difficult I admit Wink

If you don't use your mac and don't move then the mac expires and, therefore, I take it your 30 days notice expires too! So if you renew your mac code after it expires (the following day, for example) do you have to go for another 30 days? Oooooo, Dizzy Now :?

[edit] Shockedops: Somebody's run off with my spelling finger! Edits for terrible spelling Shockedops:
chrisc
Grafter

The way the notice period works with Mac keys is different to a cancellation:

If you request to cancel your account then you have to pay for the 30 day notice period and the account will be closed.

If you request a Mac key it is valid for 30 days. Any subscription payments due before the Mac is used will be taken as normal. When the migration completes you will be refunded for any additional subscription time that was unused.

If you dont use the Mac the account stays open as normal.

Hope this helps although I know it's a bit confusing Cheesy
FooAtari
Grafter

ccotterill, your tone probably came across wrong to me as it's just words on the screen, a common problem with forums and emails Wink

I don't understand the mac procedure though, do I not pay 1 month in advance? Why should i need to pay more than £45?
chrisc
Grafter

You shouldn't have to pay more than the £45

This covers the subscription time and the deferred charge. You won't be charged anymore than this.