cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been upgraded....I think.

N/A

Hi all. When I connected this morning I noticed that Accessrunner was indicating my speed at 7.4 mbps as opposed to the 2.0 mbps it was before. I assume Plusnet has upgraded me although I've had no email about it.

I decided to check myspeed with ADSLguide. The result was 1.8 mbps download and 0.4 upload. The only change seems to be a bit faster upload...is this normal?

Cheers.
13 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Sounds as though you're on Max now.
It can take up to a couple of weeks for it to reassess your down speed and notify Plusnet. It is only after this that your actual speed will increase.
There are many threads about it if you look on the forums.

This link gives your Max Stable Rate, which is notified to Pn by BT, and is the limiting factor in your download speed.
N/A

On the other side of the coin, I've had an email telling me that I'm about to upgraded to 'upto 8mb' but it gives no indication of time frames and there appears to be no way to find out. This was over a week ago I got this message, and nothing has changed.
Alecto
Grafter

You are correct Andrew, there seems to be no way of finding out when it will happen.
Just keep looking at your sync rate or max stable rate to monitor it yourself.
N/A

Sounds as though you're on Max now.
It can take up to a couple of weeks for it to reassess your down speed and notify Plusnet. It is only after this that your actual speed will increase.
There are many threads about it if you look on the forums.

This link gives your Max Stable Rate, which is notified to Pn by BT, and is the limiting factor in your download speed.

Ok thanks. That link shows my 'current broadband speed' as 2000kbps.
Alecto
Grafter

Yes, over a matter of days (max 2 weeks), the exchange equipment should select the best speed for you and pass it on to Plusnet, and the speed on that link will change. So add it to your bookmarks. Wink
N/A

Be patient! It took nearly two months for my Max DSL to settle down during which time my download speed was all over the place - sometimes being as slow as dial up! I also never received any emails re the upgrade. However it was worth it as I now usually hit around 3.7mbs which is pretty good as I live about a mile and a half away from my exchange. Just keep checking your speed and be patient! Rebooting your router about 3 times a day (if you have one) is also recommended.
N/A

Yes, over a matter of days (max 2 weeks), the exchange equipment should select the best speed for you and pass it on to Plusnet, and the speed on that link will change. So add it to your bookmarks. Wink

Ok mate...bookmark added...cheers.
N/A

Be patient! It took nearly two months for my Max DSL to settle down during which time my download speed was all over the place - sometimes being as slow as dial up! I also never received any emails re the upgrade. However it was worth it as I now usually hit around 3.7mbs which is pretty good as I live about a mile and a half away from my exchange. Just keep checking your speed and be patient! Rebooting your router about 3 times a day (if you have one) is also recommended.

I'm about a kilometre away from the exchange as the crow flies. I know that probably dosen't mean a great deal.
N/A

Oh yes it should! You should be seeing speeds around 5MB/s eventually depending on quality/age of your line. I cant imagine that your line will be that much longer when you are so close. As I said, be patient and dont get upset if your speed drops when the weather is bad as it definately does affect it! (Especially heavy rain, which we get a lot of here!)
N/A

My connection dropped yesterday (an unusual occourance) when I re-connected accessrunner showed my speed as dropping from 7.4 to 6.5 mbps. This morning it shows 7.6, the highest yet. These differences have tied in with the weather actually Smiley
Community Veteran

The distance from you to the exchange "as the crow flies", means absolutely nought tbh!

Although it is likely that you will have a decent route to your exchange - being 1km away - it is certainly no guarantee.
Community Veteran

it does seem to be the luck of the draw -- i'm 300m from exchange, sync at 8meg, fab snr margin & v low attenuation, maxed since may and still only ever get between 2 and 4 MB/s ... "Contention".
N/A

It also depends on how well your telephone socket is wired. Personally, I have done away with the the ringer wire and only have two wires connecting my extension. I also checked all my extension sockets and after removing a few spiders and reconnecting the wires, managed to improve my attenuation and signal noise ratio. Ideally, you should have your modem plugged straight into the master socket to get the best connection.