cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought management was only at peak hours?

N/A

Never mind, PN must have fed the hamster on a wheel and it seems OK now.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Management occurs ALL the time, its just at certain times the management is more intense than others. The PN BT centrals cannot cope with everyone using their connection at the same time so contention and traffic management will always kick in when the central limits are being reached (which is pretty much all the time).
passer
Grafter

Rather like the airlines selling more seats per plane than actually exist, on the assumption that some people will fail to show up. Works OK till one day everyone shows up! Then some have to either do without or move to another supplier - I mean, airline.................... :?
N/A

not at all, it's more akin to someone paying for a seat for one hour and expecting to be sat down for a full 24 hour flight or for somone paying for one seat and then lying down over ten and refusing to move...
passer
Grafter

I'll not pursue the "analogies R us" line further, much as I'd like to (am at work at the mo), but the underlying issue is that PlusNet have oversold their capacity. All ISPs do that - it's the way the business works - but some ISPs do it more enthusiastically than others. It appears that PlusNet have been pretty successful in the last year at selling their wares, and it probably really is time for them to increase their available bandwidth, as the traffic management seems to be noticeably in place almost permanently. I suspect that they will say that their LLU rollout will address this.
N/A

That's a poor analogy as the service is advertised as an "unlimited" and always on.
It's not a timeshare connection where people are allocated a specific hour to be on.

The bottom line is that as others have said in this thread like airline BT and the ISP's always sign up far more customers than there is capacity for.
N/A

The bottom line is that as others have said in this thread like airline BT and the ISP's always sign up far more customers than there is capacity for.

You hit the nail right on the head
jagger
Grafter

Very contentious issue this.
Community Veteran

That's a poor analogy as the service is advertised as an "unlimited"

Where?

PN have not advertised their products as unlimited since early 2004.
N/A

Don't forget too that it's always been known that ADSL connections are subject to a (typically 50:1) contention ratio.
N/A

That's a poor analogy as the service is advertised as an "unlimited"

Where?

PN have not advertised their products as unlimited since early 2004.

I meant unlimited as in the times of the day you could use the connection not as in unlimited downloads.
N/A

the service still is unlimited in that respect, and no your post was not clear. Certainly not clear enough to warrent you making personal remarks.

you still can use your connection at any time you just may not get full speed on things like P2P.
N/A

Well the part where i say - "It's not a timeshare connection where people are allocated a specific hour to be on." - seemed clear enough to me.